In-Car PC, Has anyone here done it?

SLAYER6669

NJ
Hi, I'm looking into putting a PC in the car with an LCD screen for mp3's and dvd's etc. but my main problem would be booting time? If i were to use windows Id have to boot the computer everytime I get in thecar, and shut it down before I exit or windows will then run scandisk when I boot it again the next time.. Any info would be helpful, thanks

I had a sony vaio pII in my previous car, install was quite easy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

All I needed was a power converter to feed it, a new alternator to live up to its needs (combination of my audio and the comp was to much). To be able to get RCA on the ***** I bought an pcmcia platinum soundcard which had an cable on it with a little box where I mounted my rca plugs, split was done at the HU which worked fine...

I dont know if you just want the lap in or want it custom, I demounted the complete laptop and had USB, PCMCIA, Network, Modem and keyboard integrated in the left side of the dashboard, the screen itself was in the middle and the scrollball was integrated in the mid section of the car

It worked pretty great, when I needed new mp3's I just drove into my garage and plugged in the cat5 cable from my hub which was in the garage to so that I could upload to my car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I had to re-arrange my hole dashboard but it certainly was worth it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

gl

try XP, fast boot times, but i think the best OS would be one of the read-only's, like (i think) linux, you can shut them down at anytime, as there si no data being written.....

ehrmz..

You just duck into my occupation //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I'm a network developer / engineer for spirotech (also in USA so might just come to visit) and to end the discussion about what OS... just pick w2k proffessional

I made a distribution package of the jetta (previous car who had the comp installed, will scan pics when I'm back home which is the day after tomorrow) software which is no more then a undressed windows pro with custom sets

To run decently you would need a P1@ 200Mhz with 64mb RAM and a 2 gb disc. You might wanna add some HDD space for mp3'z and ****, I had a 25gb disc in and it was always to small

Linux is a pain in the ass to install on a car, gives you a useless and underdeveloped desktop enviroment (not talking about security issues yet). Best thing to do is to get a normal PC laptop with a Port replicator or a Docking Station, both of those units are extenders which are easy to break apart and distribute all over your car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

If you really are interested then reply on this post and i'll give you a copy of the distribution files altho I should remind you that the whole windows enviroment is set for doing two things and only two things

- Music through CD or MP3

- DVD / vcd

exactly, I kinda was //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I did two things, mess with audio and mess with goverment computers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Got busted 5 weeks ago and have to go to court in Juli for penetrating the german university systems (which was actually done on request of the real admins).

Anywayz, i am no longer allowed to have internet at home so i dumped the comp and spended the montly inet fee on the civic, hey... all bits help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

(am not a fawked up guy breaking people's stuff, i went in and out only to see if it was possible and if so why it was possible)

Btw,

Pics will be up around tuesday, currently am in belgium and if all goes well I should be back on monday night

Little remark: You should save up an amount of 500 bucks for installation of the laptop. The replication cables are very pricey

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.