In car DVD systems?

alehouserox

Hi, posting to the forum in hopes that I can get some information on in car DVD systems. I recently purchased a new SUV ('02 Toyota Sequoia) and am looking to install a DVD system. I'm thinking of a flip-down model (installed in the ceiling - for backseat passengers) but don't know what to look for or what's the best in the market today...I have a budget of ~ $2,000. Can anyone give me information on your installed systems or products that I should consider for my install? Are headrest monitors better than flip-down? What brand should I absolutely buy? What do I need to consider before purchasing a system?

Thanks all for your help!!

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Hey! These are some broad questions but i'll do my best to help! I have a Panasonic dvd player, pioneer in dash tv screen, pioneer visual master unit, and two headrest tvs. I had a flip down and took it out 'cuz the glare sometimes was horrible, but i think that that was because i had a cheap screen. I personally like the headrest tvs better 'cuz they look more professional and neat. I assume with you having a new high priced vehicle you'd want the best monitors which in my opionion are Alpines Kenwoods and Pioneer(in that order)Try to stay away from flea market brands like MA and Pyle. You wouldn't like those. If you want to watch tv up front you'll have to find someone willing to install a switch to make your dvd play up front. Most of 'em come with a safety switch that has to be hooked to your parking brake to work. I bypassed mine but most shops around here wouldn't 'cuz its illegal. Hope i helped a little:crazy:

Thanks...I'm considering keeping my existing HU (which is the stock JBL 6-disc changer). I haven't thought of upgrading this to a player unit b/c of the laws. So, I'm not sure if my existing HU would be compatible with the upgrade or if switches would have to be installed to bypass the existing HU. Bottom-line, I want the flexibility to play the DVD system thru the existing stereo system and thru wireless headphones. And, if wireless is in use, I want to also be able to play my radio / CD's thru the existing stereo system...make sense?

In your system, do you have multiple sources so that your monitors play different video (like a movie on one and tv on the other(s))? And what monitors did you go with in your headrests? Are the two headrests = to one flip-down in terms of $$'s?

And in terms of your system, what did you pay (if you don't mind supplyin' the amount)? Is it / was it in the $2K range (higher or lower)?

I currently have the pioneer tvs in the headrests and they cost about the same as the 10 inch flip down screen i had. It was a cheap brand though and a pioneer tv of the same size would hit me for a little more cash. I bought all of my stuff in this vehicle off of ebay for around 1500.00 which was a steal considering how much it costs in the store. The dvd player alone costs over 500.00 in the store and i got that and a indash tv screen for 600.00. They were used but you would never know it cuz they work perfect. I haven't bought the splitter that allows you to watch dvd, tv, and playstation on different screens yet but i'll get 'em sooner or later. I'm pretty sure you can use the factory hu and have screens in the rear that operate off of your dvd player. The headphones probably will be fm modulated meaning that you would have to tune your radio to a station to get the sound to come out of the speakers. I don't know much about the headphones 'cuz i didn't get those. My tv s come through my speakers.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I have to agree on the alpine. I have a couple of the CVA series in dash screens. The picture quality is excellent. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I went to a few car audio stores in my area and was impressed with the Alpine TME-M750A's (my plan is to install two of these into the backs of the headrests). When I saw your reply 'ramos', I couldn't help but noticing your reference to the CVA series screens. Aren't these directly connected to HU's? Or, can you have (just) the monitors separately? Sorry for my ignorance. I'm also considering a changer and have looked at Sony's 10-disc changer...any reviews on this or should I bag the changer and settle for a single disc player? Thoughts? I think Alpine makes a changer too (DHA-S680) but I haven't actually seen one or know about a changer to determine if it's a wise choice. Like, I wouldn't buy a DVD changer for my home system as I've heard some horror stories with these...rather, single disc is the way to go...but, what do I know? I will get a splitter, be wireless and probably add a sub and an amp. So, I'm quickly finding out that my original ($2,000) budget will be out the window with all the stuff I want.

Peace and Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.