Improving preamp output to factory amplifier

audionoobwhowillprobablyb

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jan 9, 2021
Michigan
I have a 2012 impala ltz with a stock Bose amplifier powering my stock speakers. I have an aftermarket head unit. I have an aftermarket amplfier powering an aftermarket subwoofer.

The head unit came with an adapter for the factory amplifier. When I use it, the volume on the head unit maxes out way before the speakers do. The speakers are audible and sound really good, but are no where near my preferred listening volume. The aftermarket subwoofer amplifier is recieving plenty of juice from the preamp output on the same adapter.

Is there something I can buy to improve the preamp voltage going into the adapter for the factory amplifier... to make the volume louder on my speakers? Obviously if it were it an aftermarket amplifier, I think I'd just increase the gain. But that's not an option on this factory Bose amplifier.

Thank you for any suggestions. For now, the headunit is powering the speaker, however when I do this, the subwoofer is too quiet. Lol what a mess.

Should I just get an aftermarket amplifier for the speakers? Really don't wanna fork out anymore cash after all the upgrades I've already done. Will do what needs to be done though.

TLDR; is there something I can buy to improve the preamp voltage going from my aftermarket head unit into my factory amplifier for my speakers.

Last edited:

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
You could get a line driver. But, many times there's issues with factory system impedance, wattage output, signal processing. It's a mess trying to combine factory and aftermarket systems. Imo, the easiest way you could do this is just get either aftermarket speakers or an aftermarket amp and speakers. If you don't care too much, some higher sensitivity speakers run off the head unit may be fine. If you want to go a step further, an aftermarket amp to push those speakers. If you care a lot, amp, speakers, dsp.

Kickstand

CarAudio.com Regular
Jan 1, 2021
Maple Ridge
You say the HU came with an adapter for the factory amp.
Is it the proper harness?
GM's are a pain in the ass about the harness.
I had a 2007 Cobalt SS/SC and it needed a GMOS LAN-03 to properly work.
If you go to Metra's website (Axxess) there is a huge selection of different harnesses

I guess it would help if I knew what HU and what the adapter is that your running

marc2112

CarAudio.com Elite
Oct 12, 2012
Montreal, Qc
TLDR; is there something I can buy to improve the preamp voltage going from my aftermarket head unit into my factory amplifier for my speakers.
Delete the factory amp and get one with high level input.

Kickstand

CarAudio.com Regular
Jan 1, 2021
Maple Ridge
If he already has an aftermarket HU then I presume it has low level outs on it (RCA'S)?
So if he was going to delete the factory amp and add an aftermarket one then why not just use the low level outputs coming out of the HU?
Unless I've had another senior moment and totally missed something.

HOSound

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jan 30, 2021
S W MO
DELCO/BOSE Factory systems are oddball, to say the least. Do yourself a BIG Favor and Bypass it Altogether by swapping out the funky BOSE 🥴 speakers with aftermarket stuff and drive em with a good amp or with your stereo HU,s High level amp (the former if you plan on keeping your Ride for a while ).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds