impedance rise

Participant count
  • Participant list
You need a clamp meter. Set your clamp to ac amps and then clamp the meter around the positive speaker lead(s) on "peak/hold." Then measure the ac volts with the same HU settings and tone by inserting them into the positive and negative speaker leads (similar to the way you would set your gains). Obviously it helps if you have another meter or a simple DMM so you can do this at the same time.

ac volts / ac amps = observed impedance.

For instance... I clamped my AB 100.1 today (at 4 ohms). I got 65 ac volts and 7.8 ac amps. 7.8 times 65 is the power output (507w), 65 divided by 7.8 is the impedance rise (8.3 ohms).

And there you have it.

you can do it where they speaker leads go into the amp.. and **** taylor. 4 ohm rise lol.. whats that box made out of cardboard
Well, technically it's only a 2x rise. Lol. I wired my sub to 4 ohms because I sold a Kicker amp the other day and I just wanted to show the guy it worked without having to run it @ 1ohm. I just didn't rewire the sub when I bought the 100.1. I just had to clamp it because I knew there was no way it was only doing "250w@4." How many 4 ohm clamp numbers have you seen? Lol. Loving that little AB, btw.

I see about the same 2x rise when it's wired to 1 ohm. I think it rises to 2.4 or something.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.