impedance question on door speakers

Bass Addict
10+ year member

Hell on wheels
Tennessee
ctx69's come in at 4 ohm impedance....with the tweeter removed and a alpine silk dome tweet wired in parallel instead.will the final load still be 4 ohms per door or 2 ohms per door...looking to possibly change my speaker amp hence why i need to know thanks.

alpine tweets are 4 ohms as well

The speakers are wired to a crossover correct?

Assuming they are, you'll be fine, it will still be a 4 ohm load to the amp per channel.

Scrap the crossover and run an active front stage instead //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Passive crossovers are designed for specific driver resistances. You may have totally changed your crossover points.
If I'm understanding him correctly, he replaced a 4ohm tweeter with another 4ohm tweeter. Should be fine. I think he's just using the term "parallel" incorrectly....

OP, the crossover should have separate terminals for the mid and the tweeter, none of it should be truly wired in parallel...

Passive crossovers are designed for specific driver resistances. You may have totally changed your crossover points.
sounds great is all i can say.a helluva lot better than that muddy tweet that comes in the ctx69's...no more mudd for me and nice upgraded midbass from stock
edit.what i did was replace that tweet that came on the 69's.took the tweet off,put alpine tweets in doors and wired the new tweet and id 6x9 together just like it was when i bought them...custom components is what i did.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll blow out your tweeter without protection from a crossover, whether passive or active. A mute question to say that if the impedences don't match, the passive crossover won't be at the right frequency. Car speaker components are standardized to 4 ohm nominal impedences. With frequency division of tweeters/midranges, paralleling them doesn't half the impedence. They have a natural impedence rise out of their frequency range. But protection is another matter entirely. High power at low frequencies will burn out the voice coil of nearly all tweeters. The ones that it won't, such as piezo-electric tweeters....well, let's just say I doubt any one here would ever use one in their car system

You'll blow out your tweeter without protection from a crossover, whether passive or active. A mute question to say that if the impedences don't match, the passive crossover won't be at the right frequency. Car speaker components are standardized to 4 ohm nominal impedences. With frequency division of tweeters/midranges, paralleling them doesn't half the impedence. They have a natural impedence rise out of their frequency range. But protection is another matter entirely. High power at low frequencies will burn out the voice coil of nearly all tweeters. The ones that it won't, such as piezo-electric tweeters....well, let's just say I doubt any one here would ever use one in their car system
Some have 2 and 3 ohm componets.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.