Imaging & Clarity - Focal Utopias - How Many?

Participant count
  • Participant list

LaJit
10+ year member

Maui, HI
I could use some sound advice. I am purchasing a new GMC Crew Cab (4-door) pick-up and haven't bought any eq. since my youth 20 yrs ago, (Nak. deck, bostons sep, Harman amps etc.) any way, I haven't got a clue. I am thinking of Utopia's 165 W3's in the front doors and was wondering about the rear doors. Would the same be too much for a crew cab. I am also thinking of an Eclipse avn 2494 for the head unit. I don't know much in the way of amps. Should I go with the Focal 33Wx Sub. I am not looking for loudness or vibration. I am hoping to get that inner deep bass that does not distort or hurt year ears but fill in the whole thing and moves you to near tears. Should the sub be in a sealed box or vented? I assume seperate amp for the sub. Please advise what I should consider. This is the first gift I am buying myself in quite a long time - too many hours driving/working - not to!

I love the utopia line. Sounds like you have a bit of cash lying around, you might look into the Be series of Utopia's. Fantastic sound and all kinds of midbass. That Beryllium tweeter is the sweetest sounding tweet I have ever heard.

The Focal Utopia 33wx is a fantastic sub, but if you want smoother bass, you may want to step down a few notches to the Polyglass 33V2. I love my sub. I looked into the Utopia 33WX, but in the end, I decided that for half the price and actually smoother response, the Polyglass would meet my needs. My installer says, "...more does not always mean better"

and my wife says, " Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

ONYRMRK Thanks. Good advice. I'll check out the Be series and see how much more and the difference in sound. I like the smoother sound of a lesser sub so that is also a big help. Do you think in a full size, Crew Cab truck 2 pairs of comp. spkrs will be too much or distort the imagining? Any input on amps? Thanks agian.

Dylan, are you talking about the Rainbows cs 365VAN - Prof/Vanadium 3 ways? That is the only ones I found on-line in the same price range as the Focal 165W3's. If I have to buy an extra set for the rear doors that is def. as far as I can stretch it $$. I appreciate your input re. the brightness of the Utopia's. Can that be toned down by the eq. in the eclipse?? Any take on subs or amps for this configuration?

LaJit,

The Focal Be series is THE top of the Line from Focal. Better than the Audiom series Utopia's. I agree with Ology, some of the lower line Focal tweets are more shrill than the upper line tweets, but the Be's are much better than even the Audiom tweeters, and that is saying something. I haven't tried Ology's Daytona series or some of the other stuff he carries but I have heard good things from others on this board about his crossovers.

I am a true believer in crossover technology. I think even the most piercing tweeter out there can be toned down by a fantastic crossover. The Utopia Be components have one sweet crossover. Very nice indeed. I haven't heard the Rainbows, but I think that they use Seas mids and tweets but utilize their own crossovers. Not totally sure of that, but that is what I have heard. You might look into the Genesis brand of comps too.

here is the website for the Focal Utopia Be's: http://www.utopia-be.com/

here is Focal America's site: www.focal-america.com

what it actually comes down to is your personal tastes and ears. Ology and I can try to sway you our way, but only your ears will tell you what is better. Good luck in your search.

Joe

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.