IDmax 15" not too loud

jester73440
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
chicago
A friend of mine finally got tired of his heavy bandpass box with an audiobahn and put in an IDMAX 15" in a sealed box 1.32cuft. Well we figured it would sound better, but would lose some SPL. But it has lost close to half the loudness. He had a bigger amp that matches the subs specs more so he threw that on it (800w rms) and its still no where near the audiobahn(@ 600w rms).He notice with the trunk open he had a decent gain in volume, so he removed the trunk gasket and it got a little better. Any advice on this? The car is a 99 crown vic

Try putting pollyfill in the box. For subs that are meant to hit the lows its a pretty good idea. Its pretty much a no brainer also because a pound and a half costs ~$3. Im not sure about ID specs but isnt 1.32 a little small for a 15? I would feel more confident puttin that sub in at least 2.0 so it would hit the lows better. Im assuming this is a prefab box which if it is, its probably your problem. Build a box out of 3/4 mdf specs to 2.0 cubes and add pollyfill. I guarantee it will sound much better.

They DID make a 15'' IDMAX at one point in time. Even if it is an IDQ, it must not be hooked up or it is already blown or some along those lines because if it isnt anywhere near the "loudness" of an audiobahn sub in a bandpass box there is something really wrong

it has to be the box. 1.32 cf sounds like prefab to me. Its probably made out of some cheap ass wood and probably not even sealed right. Then subtract the displacement of the sub - ~.16 - thats hardly anything for a 15. Put it in a bigger box. Trust me it will be better.

if its louder with the trunk open your box placement could be an issue, I do agree as well that your sub would prefer a larger box, and doing so would prolly make a noticeable change //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif.

So.....we can't help you unless we actually know what sub he is using. Are you sure it isn't a 12" IDMax? Or maybe a 15" IDQv2 and not a 'Max?

yes I'm sorry it is the IDQ box spec are 1.23cuft I believe. He built the box its sealed tight. Reason it is so small is he wanted it on his rear deck but has tried other positions with no luck

He switched from a fart cannon Audiobahn in a bandpass box, to a SQ sub like an IDQ in a small sealed box, and he's wondering why he lost so much output? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.