IDMAX 10 or JL 10W6v2?

rjay
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Will be a single sub set up going in a 09 Nissan Sentra. Will be in a sealed box to save space, may eventually get ported, but sealed for now. Will have 450watts going to it, was leaning towards the IDMAX since they are around the same price, but wondered if it wouldn't be a good choice since I would only be giving it half its rated power.

Yeah I was thinkin it would be too little of power but wasn't sure. I had the itch of doing something different so I just sold my IDQ 10 and was thinking about doing a 6x9 set up, but then thought about trying a better different sub. I know completely different ideas but you know how it goes, always wanting to try something new!

ID max will be starved for power. Look into the subs suggested above.
just because it can take more power doesnt mean it wont be louder on the same wattage. the motor force alone will cause it to be louder. rms ratings arent requirements. the box can even make more of a difference. take the idmax put it in a 1cube sealed enclosure and it will easily out perform the w6 or dayton ho in terms of output. but for the power and since you are fine with spending a chunk of change id say the w6 it is an extremely flexible sub with pinpoint precision and decent output.

iDMax for sure. Will get much louder off of the power, and will sound incredible. If not, then yes a Dayton HO would be nice too, but wont get nearly as loud.

just because it can take more power doesnt mean it wont be louder on the same wattage. the motor force alone will cause it to be louder. rms ratings arent requirements. the box can even make more of a difference. take the idmax put it in a 1cube sealed enclosure and it will easily out perform the w6 or dayton ho in terms of output. but for the power and since you are fine with spending a chunk of change id say the w6 it is an extremely flexible sub with pinpoint precision and decent output.

Just speaking on my experience with ID subs. I have owned a few sets of them and they really didn't start to shine until near their rated power. Feel like not giving the ID max enough power is like having a race car and never going over 30.

Just speaking on my experience with ID subs. I have owned a few sets of them and they really didn't start to shine until near their rated power. Feel like not giving the ID max enough power is like having a race car and never going over 30.
sounding good is subjective, an as far as being loud that depends more on the box. a larger box will allow u to sound just as good and get louder without needing alot of power.

how many guys do you know that own high end exotics that use them for high speed driving and i mean 120+ and aggressive cornering my guess is not many

while most of us on the forum like loud bass, the majority of the forum doesnt constantly push there subs to maximum potential everyday, we turn them down to comfortable levels

which for your idqs and the rockford 500 is prolly around 200rms a sub thus you more than likely dont run rms to your subs either

music is peaky and varies in amplitude thus meaning one second the sub can be seeing 1 watt and the next 500watts

I do like to run my equipment to its limits, but you do have a good point. My amp was downgraded cuz my old honda's electrical couldn't handle it. Anyways, either one of those subs is fantastic. OP, you have good taste.

Will be a single sub set up going in a 09 Nissan Sentra. Will be in a sealed box to save space, may eventually get ported, but sealed for now. Will have 450watts going to it, was leaning towards the IDMAX since they are around the same price, but wondered if it wouldn't be a good choice since I would only be giving it half its rated power.
If you lean more towards SPL and/or thinking you'll eventually drive the sub with moar, prolly the IDMAX.

But those W6's would be awesome SQ subs at even less than 450WRMS! I would love to run across a great deal on a set , someday , to put in my truck!

BTW, how much are you feeding your BA front comps, and what do you think of them?

They are getting 50watts a piece and sound really good to me. Tweeters were a little harsh in the beginning, but changed the setting to -3db on the crossover and it fixed that. Was debating on the 10w6 before I got the IDQ, and never having either one before, it was a toss up to. But I came across a really good deal on the IDQ from a forum member and got it. It sounded great and met all of my needs, but as with anything else I am always wanting to try something different. So I sold the IDQ locally to make my money back and now will probable get the 10w6, but wait until I come across a decent deal. They used to cost $289 new, but seem to have gone up to $349:confused: In the mean time there is a guy (locally) thats got an old school 10" Pyle (really cheap), thats supposively in great condition, I may get that for the hell of it:D

The Dayton HO 10 is great for SQ too. I've had w6s, old and new... LOVE EM TO DEATH. The Dayton HO keeps up with it SQ-wise, though...sealed or ported.

Its worth a look into. In my experience, the w6 feels like itll take more power and its very easy to get loud and low with it even small sealed. The Dayton seems to need a little more juice to get going, but doesn't feel like it'll take what the w6 will. Almost like it has a sweet spot, that, once u find, you're in heaven. I love my Daytons as well. I was running 2 ported , tuned at 29hz on about 400rms each and they got plenty loud and sounded great up to about 70hz. I switched up to one sealed on about 400rms and it still sounds great and will get decently low (not as loud down low as ported or the w6), but the thing extends crazy high man and still sounds clean and is still hard to localize.

Both subs would be fine choices, IMO.

I hear about ID stuff all the time, maybe I'll try one someday....

The Dayton HO 10 is great for SQ too. I've had w6s, old and new... LOVE EM TO DEATH. The Dayton HO keeps up with it SQ-wise, though...sealed or ported.
Its worth a look into. In my experience, the w6 feels like itll take more power and its very easy to get loud and low with it even small sealed. The Dayton seems to need a little more juice to get going, but doesn't feel like it'll take what the w6 will. Almost like it has a sweet spot, that, once u find, you're in heaven. I love my Daytons as well. I was running 2 ported , tuned at 29hz on about 400rms each and they got plenty loud and sounded great up to about 70hz. I switched up to one sealed on about 400rms and it still sounds great and will get decently low (not as loud down low as ported or the w6), but the thing extends crazy high man and still sounds clean and is still hard to localize.

Both subs would be fine choices, IMO.

I hear about ID stuff all the time, maybe I'll try one someday....
what size is your sealed box? i know the dayton ho's like small ported but how do they like sealed size wise? i was thinking 1 cube on 3-400w should be nice

what size is your sealed box? i know the dayton ho's like small ported but how do they like sealed size wise? i was thinking 1 cube on 3-400w should be nice
The box I have is a prefab I got for free and its too big for the sub. But, its about a cube maybe 0.9 after disp. on about 400wrms... sounds darn good too and hasn't bottomed yet... I hear they like about 0.5 sealed though..

The box I have is a prefab I got for free and its too big for the sub. But, its about a cube maybe 0.9 after disp. on about 400wrms... sounds darn good too and hasn't bottomed yet... I hear they like about 0.5 sealed though..
hows your low end with that box? my comps are in about 1 cubes a piece and they play 30hz better than 40 which is why im still hanging on to them. but i need more lol

i want my back wall to go from flexing 1/4inch to about double that. i was thinking to icon tens on a 20.1in 1.13cubes each but since they are known to dig deep im reallly curious if i can bump up to twelves in the same airspace without losing my low end

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.