IB or sealed?

Participant count
  • Participant list

coupe man
10+ year member

ive been lookin for a single sub for my sc300 but i need to decide on what type of enclosure before i buy one.. i could do a single 10" in the factory spot (package trey)or 12" sealed glassed into the spare tire well and just remove the stock subwoofer...i want it to sound good get a little loud.watta ya think guys

ok cool thats what i thought but i dont like to act like i know what im talkin bout. could i get that to sound as good and hit as hard that way or am i better off with the 12 sealed.oh and the 10 would have to be kinda shallow cause toyota put the gas tank right under the package trey and anything deep i think would hit

"Loud" is achievable with IB. But one 10 probably won't satisfy most people's definition of "loud". I went to a DIYMA meet and heard a Protege with 2 15" SS RL-p's IB off 600w and it was loudddd when he turned them up, but for normal use they sounded amazing. They blended with the mids so nicely and sounded so "natural". The bass didn't "hit" you as hard as an enclosed set up. It was much softer and again natural feeling. It didn't feel like a speaker was reproducing music; it sounded like you were listening to non-amplified music live. And that was what made me want to go IB. I've wanted to do it with my 1 12 but I'm afraid it won't have enough output for me. So I think I'm going to sell it and go IB with my 4 E8s. In your car I think 1 10 in your factory spot IB would be interesting for a daily SQ car...but what confuses me is if your subs are mounted IB on the package tray, do you still need to seal off the space behind the seats with a panel?

more sq but i would like it to still be kinda loud..is loud achievable with IB
If your definition of "loud" is being clearly able to tell you have a sub, then IB is not for you. The way LaserRed put it is very true - with a proper IB installation, you might not be able to tell you have a sub installed, until you turn it off - and that's the point //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

You do not need to seal off the section between the cabin and the trunk...it helps....Scott Buwalda's Altima had 3 12's firing through the rear deck and he did not use a baffle between the rear seats and the trunk....He did pretty good in competitions.

When a speaker is placed IB it raises the efficiency of the speaker so less power is needed to produce the same SPL....

BUT...power handling is lowered....

the low end of an IB set up is unmatched....IMO

good info guys,thanks.I think im gonna try the IB....i could always change later if i feel the need for more poundage but i do think im gonna focus more on clean install and SQ for this car..any suggestions on a 10" for say 200$ under.

thinkin bout a id10v3....you guys think thats a good option? but my main question...with IB would i have to seal up the holes for the other 6.5s in the package trey or could i use some rear fill.i know i cant leave them open but would the speakers them selves affect it being true IB.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.