i ruined my saturday night...

redrider13
10+ year member

is stealin yur deebeez
VA
Well I'm pretty sure I burnt out my voice coils. I just want to make sure I'm diagnosing the problem right. I think it was too much power but I also have a fleeting suspicion it was wired wrong at the wrong impedance. Please let me know what you think I'll give you as much info as you need.

Setup:

Eclipse sw7200

PG x600.1

Alpine CDA-9883

Kicker 4ga kit

Alright so I was tuning my sub tonight and I had the Subsonic set at 32hz, the lowpass was at 81hz, and I was just setting my gains. The first sign of something going wrong was that my tones didnt burn right to a CD so I didnt have tones to play with. So I stuck in some regular music and started to set my gains. I had it at what I thought to be around 500rms but I didnt. I turned up the volume to listen, got out of my car for about a minute and as soon as I got back in I smelled a something burning, I looked and my amp was going into protect (flashing light) and then the smoke came. I turned off everything and ripped all the stuff out of my car to get it out in case it was gonna catch on fire. Gladly it didnt. I pulled my sub out of the box and nothing visibly is wrong, it just smells burnt, so I'm like ****, I just raped my sub.

The reason why I think I may have wired wrong is that a sub that handles 500rms should handle 613rms (birthed) for a few notes while I'm gaining down right? I guess it didn't.

Here's the wiring deal that was going on:

wiring.jpg

Also seeing as I'll be replacing this sub, should I get an AQ or DD? Looking for more sql than anything...

cool, i guess?

btw, guys I know I ****ed up so yea, keep the pointing fingers and laughing to a minimum please. I'm just trying to get it right.

Yea, I know that... its just I think I blew the coils cuz I had the sub at the wrong impedance...

Yea, I know that... its just I think I blew the coils cuz I had the sub at the wrong impedance...
Ok....at either impedence you could wire a dual 4 sub the xenon would produce the same amount of power. You had it wired at 2 ohms btw

I have a dmm but I couldnt get a good reading off music. It kept going all over the place.

it scatches like mad too

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.