i need help picking sub and amps out...1300 to spend

Big-Cat
10+ year member

Jupiter, FL
ok, i've got 1300 to spend, and i want to get a system that bumps like crazy. Local brand around here are Audiobahn, Kove, MMatts, Kicker, JL Audio, Orion, Rockford Fosgate. I think that's it. I've got a Pioneer DEH-P740 for the hu. The guy that sells audiobahn wants to get me a AW1508Q with an audiobahn 1600watt amp, and put it in a big ported box. I've got a 95' Acura Integra. I don't really care too much for SQ, i listen to mostly rap. I also don't know how to install it, so installation is a must, that's got to be calculated into it, and tax and wires and stuff like that. So...any suggesions??

Get a Juggernaut 15 off of ebay and a 1200.1!!! Run the 1200.1 at 1.3 ohms and it will be just fine!!! The amp puts out about 1350 at 2ohms.

hey rangerman those Juggy's are 1.4 dual voice coiled subs. so that would be a 2.8 ohm in series and .7 at parallel right?? well that's what i thought it would be i may be wrong but i thought that's how they worked. plus those subs need more power than that to sound as good as they can. those mother's want as much power as you can afford basically.

keep it thumpin,

adam

have you heard of Ultimate?? They're really good, amp wise anyways. They thump out power and they don't cost very much. Check them out at

http://www.ultimate-sound.com

The biggest amp out of the titanium series pumps out a like 1200 watts. I've heard this amp thump and it's crazy. It shut down the board and it hasn't been playing for 30 seconds. They were thumpin a pair of kicker XPLs in a sealed box and it moved like crazy. Check them out....they're cool. I've got two small amps running my speakers and they sound good. really clean....when i still had a car! Not that I'm bitter or anything!

Nick

Originally posted by SuckMikeHawk23 i thought u were set on the fosgate power hx2's? if u wanna bump, look into the mmatts subs or the l7's aside from the fosgate.
i was set....because my friend told me that Brandsmart(a store like best buy) sold the power series from RF...and i was like for how much? and he goes you can get the 12's for 250..and i was like WHAT??? so i went there today and they were 370...and i think that might be a little expensive. What about Kove though..i heard they put out mad SPL. was i wrong? Oh, i just looked on ebay also. They only have 3 auctions, and they're all from someone that doesn't sell subs. So they've all got less than like 50 points. I don't know if i trust them

Originally posted by bumpin_blazer hey rangerman those Juggy's are 1.4 dual voice coiled subs. so that would be a 2.8 ohm in series and .7 at parallel right?? well that's what i thought it would be i may be wrong but i thought that's how they worked. plus those subs need more power than that to sound as good as they can. those mother's want as much power as you can afford basically.

keep it thumpin,

adam
Your right...Don't know what the hell i was thinking...thats why I am not a pro installer. I would be interesting to see a 1200.1 run a .7 ohms though. Hey, but you could only wire one voice coil...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by toyotanut have you heard of Ultimate?? They're really good, amp wise anyways. They thump out power and they don't cost very much. Check them out at

http://www.ultimate-sound.com

The biggest amp out of the titanium series pumps out a like 1200 watts. I've heard this amp thump and it's crazy. It shut down the board and it hasn't been playing for 30 seconds. They were thumpin a pair of kicker XPLs in a sealed box and it moved like crazy. Check them out....they're cool. I've got two small amps running my speakers and they sound good. really clean....when i still had a car! Not that I'm bitter or anything!

Nick
Ultimate 1200 watt class D amp http://www.thezeb.com - $299

hey i got a question for audiolife and rangerman since they seem to know their stuff. what do you guys think?? should i keep my 1 IDMAX 12" running off my 1000watt RF amp and get a second sub and amp. or should i get 1 Juggy 15" sub and run each of the 1000 watt RF amps to each voice coil. the amps are only stable down to 2 ohms but i have talked to reps and they said they will do 1.33 ohms ok. what do you guys think?? i am mainly for SPL but i do like my SQ a lil bit. in an SUV most people go for SPL though.

keep it thumpin,

adam

what about the kove armageddon u-2 series? has anyone heard them? How much do they cost? I don't really get a chance to listen to anything around here because the kids don't know anything, and most of the stores say..oh..you don't need to hear it, just look at the sub and you tell me wether you think it'll hit or not. So...i can't really learn much. Oh yeah, i've got Eclipse at a local store also

I haven't been in the car audio circuit for quite some time. I had reaaally thumpin' bass. from 100 ft away, I rattled things in my friend's house's kitchen. I have heard many of the subs people have suggested, rockford fosgate, kicker, jl audo, jbl. I think that these subs are OK (JL audio pretty good), but I put in some sound stream SPLs, hell, I can't remember why, I just did it. I had a precision power A1200.2 (1200 watt RMS) to the pair of SPL 12s. OK, so the subs were rated at 300 watts peak. I blew one of them out. I got it warrantied from the place I mail ordered them from. But, to the point, I adjusted the gains a bit, and these pair of Soundstrem SPL 12s in a 1.5 cubic foot box(gross volume) with no bracing, no poly fill, no crossbraces and sealed with hot glue (not the greatest) completely rocked my world. I previously had 4 boston acoustic 10 inches in a sealed box with .7 cubic feet each. The bass coming from the pair of SPL 12s was much deeper, faaar cleaner, faaar tighter and a bunch louder than what I had. I know for a fact that SPL series subs have been around for a while, and I"m not quite sure what's out there these days. These are absolutely Great subs for the money. I've seen them online currently for around $120 each. These aren't built for heavy duty competition, but, they do handle a lot of power. Also, they are very forgiving on the enclosure and very versatile. They require hardly any space either which is a good thing. If the SPL 170s (15inchers) are _anything_ like the littler, less expensive SPL 10s,12s,15s, they will absolutely frickin' rock. I've been dying to try them, but I'm short on cash flow. I'm not sure about the Audiobahns really. Stats say a lot, so do the Theile small parameters, but hearing is believing. Honestly, I glanced over the SPL series subs many a time because their stats, like magnet weight and power handling are not impressive at all. Best way is to find someone with the subs your looking for with a proper enclosure., or find someone who is absolutely nuts about a certain type of sub. I'm in love with the soundstream SPL series and will be until I can find a better sub, for the same money or cheaper or reasonably more.

I recently built enclosures for a pair of Hifonics 15" generation x series subwoofers. I built one at 2 cubic foot each, an honest mistake on my part. The bass was OK, not exceptionally tight, pretty deep, but they started to distort at any increased power levels. That's understandable. I built another box. This box is perfect and made it as close to spec as possible. I made sure it was completely sealed, had braces, the whole nine yards. Basically, they bottomed out and started clipping without that much power applied to them. They sounded loud outside of the car, but sounded like crap inside. I couldn't believe that these things go for around 250 each. Am I doing something wrong? Gotta make a ported box for these? (****, can't stand the sound of a ported sub, so boomy and generally not as tight) But anyway, my sealed enclosure experiences with the Hifonics generation x15 subs have been less than impressive.

installation can be a total pain in the butt if you don't have the right tools and you haven't done it before. Mainly the big problem for you I'd guess is getting the amp installed. That's not that expensive to do really, maybe 50-60 for the install job + materials. Finding someone to do the box custom can be difficult to do, and can be costly. When you're going for mad bass, it's almost necessary to build an enclosure that is specific to your car, or you'll end up wasting too much trunk space and almost always causing you to lose SPL and sound quality. I happen to have a complete woodworking shop and have made many a box in my day, probably 20 of them for myself, just to try out different types of enclosures -- isobaric, bandpass, ported, sealed, big ports, little ports, braces, cross braces, no braces, completely sealed, leaky, varying volumes -- you name it, I've tried it. I'd be willing to build a box for you custom for a very reasonable price. Hell, I love making them. It costs like 12 dollars for the wood, 10-20 for speaker terminals + extra for extras like exterior finishing such as carpet or formica or a solid sheet of plexiglass or mirrors or neon tubes of light if you wanted to get really fancy, and of course, labor costs. Well, hope I've been informative for y'all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.