I need an amp

GiOdi
10+ year member

I'm setting up my SQ System:

Boston Acoustic Pro 6.5 Comp. in the front

(?) Coaxials in the back

2 Bonston Acoustic Pro 10" Subs

I'm planning on geting 2 amps, but don't know what to get...PLEASE HELP!

I'm also going to use my factory Bose H/U, do you suggest a line driver?

Originally posted by GiOdi I'm setting up my SQ System:

Boston Acoustic Pro 6.5 Comp. in the front

(?) Coaxials in the back

2 Bonston Acoustic Pro 10" Subs

I'm planning on geting 2 amps, but don't know what to get...PLEASE HELP!

I'm also going to use my factory Bose H/U, do you suggest a line driver?
What can the comp's take RMS? I say you get a 2 channel, run the comps off that, run the coax's off the h/u, and pick up a mono amp, what can the subs take?

Comps: on the website it says "Recommended Amplifier Power 20-400 watts", but i think i remember reading somwhere that the RMS is 140W.

Subs: "Recommended Amplifier Power 50-1100 watts" each, but i think the RMS is 350.

Also I was thinking of just keeping my factory speakers because they actually sound pretty good, but mounting the factory comp. set from the front to a mounting in the back somewhere. Is this possible?

i would upgrade the factory speakers..i dont have much ex[erience with hearing many speakers so cant help you there. but as far as amps that i like Power Acoustik , Profile , US acoustiks thats all about it that are cheap and good that i like and have heard / used.

Cheap? Are these hig h quality amps or value amps because as far as price i don't really care. I'm willing to wait for better stuff. I am planning on upgrading the factory speaker in the font to the Boston Acoustic Pros but then leaving the coaxials in the back and then moving the component set that was in the front to the back somewhere. The reason I kinda want to keep the factory speakers is because they actually sound really good, just not that loud.

Originally posted by GiOdi Cheap? Are these hig h quality amps or value amps because as far as price i don't really care. I'm willing to wait for better stuff. I am planning on upgrading the factory speaker in the font to the Boston Acoustic Pros but then leaving the coaxials in the back and then moving the component set that was in the front to the back somewhere. The reason I kinda want to keep the factory speakers is because they actually sound really good, just not that loud.
US Acoustics makes nice amps, very nice, as well as soundstream. Look on http://www.etronics.com for em. I'm not a big fan of Profile, and power acoustik ***** IMO...

if you're loking at high quality amp, i would look into phoenix gold, zapco, ppi, cossfire, sounstream, audiobahn, or even fosgate and visonik..

Thanks. How do I determine what Ohm load i will be running the amp at? Or do I chose? Basically i want about 125 - 150 watts/ channel going to the fronts. The Nominal Impedance of the speakers is 3 Ohms. Should i chose an amp that's 125 Watts at 4 Ohms or one that will be about 150 at 2 Ohms? How will this affect the quality of sound i get?

If you've got a 3 ohm load, you'll probably want to take the value between 4 and 2 as the RMS of the amp...

exactly middle isn't the watts you're going to see (typically, amps are a little under double at 2 ohms so you'll probably get more power than the middle/pseudo 3 ohm value but it'll be close enough).

I see...thanks a lot...you have been very helpful. I think i''m going to go with a PPI PCX4125. for the highs and mids. Haven't started shopping for the sub stuff yet Maybe after I do my taxes. Let me know if you guys object to this decision, I won't be buing one for a few weeks. Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.