I need a few opinions on a head unit

jellydime
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
OK, First I'm gonna fill ya in on my system, then based on that I'd like to know what you guys think I should look into for a new head unit...

Current Head Unit: Panasonic (I'm not sure on a model number. I got it a couple years ago and I am not happy with its performance after the first 6 months of owning it especially for laying down $300 for it)

Full Range Speakers: 2 pairs of Infinity KAPPA 62.3I 6.5 2-way and 2 pair of Infinity Ref652I 6.5 2-ways

Subs: 1 Infinity Perfect 12 inch (Crossover set at 80 Hz for the ultra low frequencies) and 2 JL 10inch W3's (Crossover set at 160 Hz for some of the higher bass frequencies)

Amps: Kenwood KAC-X401M (for the Infinity Sub)

MTX Thunder 6100D (for the JL's) MTX Thunder 4244 for the Kappa 62.3I's (the others are run by my reciever's internal amp)

I also have 3 Lightning 1 Farad Capacitors

I have installed my entire system myself (I'm quite proud of it) and My main objective is sound quality (although I definitely don't mind being heard from a few blocks away)

So what head unit should I get to replace my horrible Panasonic? I've been seriously thinking about Eclipse, but I don't need to pay a lot of extra money for a tv screen or fancy graphics cause unlike some other people, I have my stereo in my car to listen to, not watch.

Oh, by the way, all this stuff is crammed into a 1989 ford probe.

Thanks for the help guys!

JELLYDIME

i suggest going for a pioneer premier in dash maybe the DEH-P7400mp or the

DEH-P630. they have seperate bass eq and all sorts of fun stuff, even an el-organic liquid display.

no no, ya must go alpine, they have great functions to get better sq, and a bass engine to get better spl.

this is the one i will be getting

Alpine CDA-7965

alpines bass engine is the same as pioneers bass eq. both do the same things. i find the pioneer being a little easier to use. but both alpine and pioneer are good products. try em both out and chose what you like.

By all means, get a Kenwood eXcelon deck. Preferibly something in the 8 or 9 series (KDC-X815, KDC-X915, KDC-X817, KDC-X917, etc.) Look around, the current year's might not be the one you like the best. I ended up buying a never been opened 2000 seres eXcelon. The other bonus? As I'm sure you know, your eXcelon amp has bass boost (called BMT) that is capible of being controlled remotely from an eXcelon deck (model years 1999 and up) Just look for the "Ext Control" input on the amp.

a kenwood excelon deck has much better sound quality than a Pioneer. get the kenwood. 105dB S/N ratio? you can't go wrong

well, i kinda wanna jump on the bandwaggon, but i dont like kenwood. bad experience with quality over time, and have heard others say the same thing. However, have heard all good things about clarion, and i love my 725!!!

I'm sure u'll like whatever you get, but I think the clarion will hang in there longer.

Good luck

I guess I can't help myself either ...

I'm a longtime Pioneer user (currently using a Premier DEH-700). I have never had issues with this or any other Pionner player I've owned. I'll bottom out my Rodeo's suspension before the thing will skip. It has all the preamp outputs you'll ever need. It also has the full range of adjustments.

Bang for the buck, it'll take a lot to pull me away from a Pioneer Premier player. My 700 is almost 4 years old, and when I get a new player (must have MP3), I'll sell this one on E-bay and someone will end up with an awesome unit.

Listen to all the players and make your own choice. Most enthusiasts are brand loyal. My loyalties go to Pioneer for head units and A/D/S for speakers.

Now here is the thing on panasonic, the old heads had crapy voltage, we used to get more signal using an audiolink then the RCA's.The good news is Panasonic fixed the problem and they have a very strong 5 volt output.I have the new MXE MP3 player and I love it!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Pioneer all the way!!!

I just got the DEH-P940MP Premier Deck !!!

FYI: To those who are meaning to mention the "Premier" Pioneer decks, remember that the model numbers are different. Pioneer makes the 9400 and then the 940, the 940 being the Premier model.

If you have the dough, get the Premier deck, those things are awesome!

And then send me your face plate so I can download cool graphics and stuff to it!

Can't you read?!?

Jellydime says he has his audio for listening purposes, not watching, so an organic EL display won't make him any more interested in a HU, travellingtheory!!!! BTW, jelly, /////alpine is the way you'll be wanting to go, or else clarion , but ken and pio are all looks and no SQ

I gotta say stick with Alpine, Clarion, Panasonic, and high - end Kenwood(eXcelon) and Pioneer(Premier)

1. Alpine(looks good, endless feature list)

2. Pioneer(higher end, also looks decent, good quality and features)

3. Clarion(great quality, good feature list, looks good too)

4. Panasonic(great looks, decent feature list)

5. Kenwood(higher end, will treat you fairly well)

6. Eclipse(just because I havent had any experience with them, I'm not saying there bad)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.