I may have killed my amp.....

its more than likely, that even having those resistors toasted, that the amplifier would still turn on...
does it go into protect? or just do nothing?
Does not turn on at all which is obviously a bad sign, but I really do not see any other ruined components. The power source looks fine, but like I said, I am not an amplifier technician so I cannot be sure.

a burned resistor means that another component allowed too much signal to goto it so more than likely theres other faulty diodes-transistors-caps etc. take it to someone who knows how to repair amps trying to repair it yourself could just make it worse

a burned resistor means that another component allowed too much signal to goto it so more than likely theres other faulty diodes-transistors-caps etc. take it to someone who knows how to repair amps trying to repair it yourself could just make it worse
Yeah I know, but either way I have a busted amp right now. Repairs for the amp will likely cost more than I am willing to pay to have it fixed. Making an attempt to fix it myself and then probably replacing it seem like an alright idea......

Right Crossover: Front Right + and Rear Right -

Left crossover: Front Left + and Rear Left -

^^^How damage happened if that makes any sense. Didn't switch crossovers to bi-amp, left them at parallel.

There is no way you will be able to fix this. There could be so many things that are gone on this amp and will show no indication that they are broke at all. It's the iceberg concept. You see a little damage, but deep down there is a LOT MORE.

There is no way you will be able to fix this. There could be so many things that are gone on this amp and will show no indication that they are broke at all. It's the iceberg concept. You see a little damage, but deep down there is a LOT MORE.
****it, im trying to stay positive. I know it is a longshot that the replacing the capacitors will fix the amp. I will have to look for a local amp repair shop...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

Forgive my noobishness. They are capacitors. Still wondering if it possible for me to fix this myself....
Absolutely......not

First you would need some decent equipment (soldering iron, o-scope, a good DMM) which together would probably cost you more than it would cost to get that amp fixed by someone else.

Second, you have to actually know what your doing, this part isn't hard so much as it's time consuming. If you don't know how to fix an amp, you can't just jump in and replace the burned components and expect it to work. It takes a lot of time consuming learning to know how to do that type of work and if your not going to be doing it a lot, it's probably not worthwhile to learn.

Best advice is to either pay someone to fix it or just sell it on here (as blown of course) and buy a different amp.

What amp is that? US

EDIT didnt see the first post

Mine 2000x was on fire yesterday. Scared to see how it looks.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

If you used a digital camera to take those photos, check to see if there is a button on it that looks like a little flower. Press it to turn on the micro setting. It will allow you to take those closeup pics without them blurring out like that. Most digital cameras have it.

What amp is that? US
EDIT didnt see the first post

Mine 2000x was on fire yesterday. Scared to see how it looks.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
U.S. amps 5500x. Good amp. I blew it.....literally.

I am looking at buying a big belle. probably sell the amp on here as blown.

it most likely has a blown channel looks like more than one of them is cooked too(the pic is bad)....The resisters that are cooked and falling out are the output resistors...if you follow the line on the curcuit board you will see that resistor bank comes off the outputs and goes right to the white output wire coming out of the curcuit board....It most likely needs the outputs and the output resistors(at a minimum ) replaced The resistors look like 2 watt and are prob. .47 Ohm but could .10 or .22 or.27 the ohm rating changes per application.. If you dont understand how to read them its gonna be a problem...resister color code is as follows..0=black 1=brown 2=red 3=orange 4=yellow 5=green 6=blue 7=violet 8=grey 9=white...

look at one of the other channels to figure out what they are as all the channels should use the same ones for output resitors...the first and second band are your ohm rating..the third is a multiplier so....yellow violet black would be .47ohms the third band being black would mean multiply by.1 Im pretty confident the third band is going to be black so just figure out the first two and put a decimal point in front of it....the last band will be either red gold or silver and thats the tolerance of the resistor meaning how accurate it is red is 1% gold is 10% and silver is 5% I think. I might have gold and silver backwards and I dont feel like getting up and looking for a resister chart... I usually just replace with the same ones that were originally in the amp unless I plan on changing all of them in every channel...then I go with 1%

The fact that the amp shut down and wont start up or even try says makes me think it must have suffered something in the front end as well..(power supply) unless the protection in it has advanced to the point where it knows something is wrong before you power it up? Usually you have to try to start the amp in order for the protection to test and make sure its ok to enable and run. So if it wont power up at all...something could have happened to the power supply as well.

Sorry man...U did in fact kill your amp...usually crossover configurations are pretty forgiving...and a problem will be evident immediatly.

Take it to a shop and get it fixed...If someone tries to hit u for more than 150.00 dollars to fix it get ahold of me..Ill fix whatevers wrong with it sight unseen for 150.00..maybe less but Im saying 150.00 to cover it if it has more than one issue which I think it prob does because It wont power up at all and usually it would try to power up and just go into protection....OR..if you just decide to unload it..let me know..I am allways looking for broken amps..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.