I just hooked up my ppi bk1800.....

Beatin'
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MI
DOOSH!! DOOSH!! DOOSH!! DOOSH!! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!! DOOSH!!!! DOOSH!!! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

Man that thing hits!!! Everything is ******* dimming and just going insane!! The trunk!! OMG the trunk!! It's a fight in there!!

Don't mind me I'm just a little excited.

I got it tuned to 500wrms but have headroom for up to 600wrms clean. The amp is rated 700wrms @ 4ohms with 0.10% THD on the box. But on sonicelectronix, its rated 700 with 1% of THD. Who's right?

I know the PPI is not cea compliant.....

cea compliant means squat man .look at the ppi website for specs
I went on their site. I can't find it. It's not in the manual either. uh oh...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

maybe they're over rated.....I knew I should have bought a cea compliant amp. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/compcrash.gif.4ecfedd515e492755e2899769e83940b.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I went on their site. I can't find it. It's not in the manual either. uh oh...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
maybe they're over rated.....I knew I should have bought a cea compliant amp. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/compcrash.gif.4ecfedd515e492755e2899769e83940b.gif

cea compliant amp doesn't mean shit ' date='i'm telling you .there are lots of amps that aren't and do way more than rated [/color']

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

cea compliant amp doesn't mean shit ,i'm telling you .there are lots of amps that aren't and do way more than rated

I got it tuned to 500wrms but have headroom for up to 600wrms clean. The amp is rated 700wrms @ 4ohms with 0.10% THD on the box. But on sonicelectronix' date=' its rated 700 with 1% of THD. Who's right?

I know the PPI is not cea compliant.....[/quote']

Whoever made the claim that RMS rating is done at 0.1% THD is almost certainly wrong. The issue is that a lot people (even on this forums) don't understand the difference between the RMS power test, which is normally done at a fixed 1% (sometimes 0.5%) THD, and the THD test which is done at fixed wattage output, like 1watt. And so they often confuse these.. Note that your amp box may not have said that the RMS output is 700watt at 0.1%THD. It probably said RMS output is 700watts and THD is 0.1%. That would be two different, unrelated specs.

In my opinion, the "THD" spec is pretty useless in general. What you really want is some sort of graph. Otherwise, a single number is not very useful.

guys help me out here.

I got it tuned to 45volts, which at 4 ohms is about 500wrms. But honestly at 500wrms it sounds about the same or softer than my kenwood tuned to 300wrms.

What seems to be the problem?

guys help me out here.
I got it tuned to 45volts' date=' which at 4 ohms is about 500wrms. But honestly at 500wrms it sounds about the same or softer than my kenwood tuned to 300wrms.

What seems to be the problem?[/quote']

That PPI will shit all over that Kenwood. Have someone hook it up that knows what they're doing. AKA not you.

That PPI will shit all over that Kenwood. Have someone hook it up that knows what they're doing. AKA not you.
I know wtf I'm doing. My wiring installation is solid.

I tuned it with a DMM at 30/50 on my HU with a 50hz tone. The DMM read around 45volts.

I'm wondering if it's just perception.

Did you buy the amp brand new? Something might be wrong with it. Cause the PPI and the Kenwood isn't even a comparison. That PPI puts out more than double what that Kenwood puts out @ 4 ohm. And I'm guessing someone on here has bench tested the PPI and if anything it's underrated. Mylows10 is right about the CEA rating meaning nothing. The company pays for that label on their amps. That's it... It's a test done at 4 ohms to make sure it's putting out at least what they say. In the big scheme of things it's a useless rating.

Did you buy the amp brand new? Something might be wrong with it. Cause the PPI and the Kenwood isn't even a comparison. That PPI puts out more than double what that Kenwood puts out @ 4 ohm. And I'm guessing someone on here has bench tested the PPI and if anything it's underrated. Mylows10 is right about the CEA rating meaning nothing. The company pays for that label on their amps. That's it... It's a test done at 4 ohms to make sure it's putting out at least what they say. In the big scheme of things it's a useless rating.
Yes I bought it new. I doubt there's anything wrong with it. When I turn it up past tuning it gets loud really fast, no audible distortion, etc.

I may have to retune just to ensure I did it right. But I swear I did it right the first time. The first thing I did when I hooked the neg battery cable back under the hood was to ensure the HU EQ was flat, sub output was set to 0, etc, etc. Then I put in the tone CD I made and played a 50hz tone. Went to the trunk and put the DMM test leads on neg/pos speaker terminals and cranked the gain until it read 45volts, give or take a half volt.

I'll ride around banging some more to see if I'm just perceiving it as being the same.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.