I hate....

I was told that dynomat doesn't help rattling, just backwaves and that it'd have better use behind a subwoofer, than in a door panel
^LMFAO!

Well I have a story toooz! I went to a TOTAL ripoff a$$rape school called Metro Auto Electronics and in order to officially graduate the school, we had to do like 2 weeks "externship" (internship) at a car audio shop of our choice. So I ended up doing mine at a little shop called Audio Depot in Mt. Holly, NJ. Anyway, during the class I had taken, I build a box for 2 18" Fi BLs in the fabrication class... So one day when im at Audio Depot for my "externship" I see an old dusty box that said 'Pyramid' across it in huge letters... It was a pair of BNIB 18" waffle grills that had been sitting there since the 80s or some $hit. So I told the shop owner I wanted to buy them (they had a $20 sticker hanging off of the box) and he laughed in my face and swore up and down that theres no such thing as a 18" subwoofer anymore. He said the 18" grills are 18" across so they fit over 15" subs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif He asked wtf I wanted 18" grills for anyway so I told him bout the box I built and he laughed even harder and kept goin on about how no one makes a 18 anymore. So I told him to lookup Fi, RE, SS, SA, DC, SI, TC, etc... I told him the list was endless... He refused to lookup any of the companies and insisted there was no such thing as a 18" sub. I looked around realizing they only pushed a few mainstream brands like MTX, Memphis and PowerBass.. So I brought up the Kicker Solo X. This guy argued that the Kicker doesnt count cuz its not a REAL subwoofer. He said since its square its not a true subwoofer! WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I mean COME ON! How stupid can shops get??? Would I really build a giant enclosure and offer to buy 18" grills for subwoofers that dont even exist? clowns... anyway, he ended up giving me the 18" grills for free so that I cud use them for a pair of 15s lol ended up trading them for 10" grills w/ clips //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nerd.gif.c6fa51ddf7ff75f1c0371fbc648f70ae.gif

well i went in to a local shop the othere day looking for some speaker wire. i was looking around and i was asked if i was in need of some help. i said nah i just need wire i had to wait cuz they had all there wire in the back. so i waited and this young guy came over and asked if i wanted to demo some of there subs etc etc. i said nah im workin on my set up im good. he asked me what i have i said im doin 4 12inch subs sealed in my tiburon. he said why not ported cuz i told him i only have 5 cubic feet or so to work with and thats not enough room. he had alot of stupid questions and i was kind nervous for the othere people in the shop looking to spend money. i just think u get these guys that do know what there talkin about but there back is against the wall and whatever the shop sells there kinda forced to push that stuff on you.

LOL Of course its not just you guys, practically any knowledgeable car audio hobbyist has a story about some local know-it-all shop. These small businesses attract and maintain their client list by giving the impression they DO know it all. Some do it just to put on a show, some really do think they are an expert. Car audio is a hobby that is pretty easy to think "Ive learned all the important info there is" even when you are a relative novice.

I think my favorite moment was several years ago when I went into a little shop in San Luis Obispo Ca. I was just stopping in to see what they had, first time visit. A salesman approached as soon as I entered, and he turned out to be the owner. At first he was very know-it-all and talked down to me. I thought oh boy, here we go. lol But after about 5 mins, he'd stopped talking and was listening to me instead. After 15 mins, he was trying to hire me.

Audioadvantage down in Mississippi said I'm a reputable source of about a centimeter (between his fingers) because I told him that their Memphis box was tuned too high (38hz) and kept blowing my buddies subs that they recommended him. Then they claimed that it was built for 38 hz even when there is no information on the internet/box about it. Wasn't a big deal, just thought it was funny that they started repeating back what I'm telling them.

Also at a local comp, I brought my buddy who doesn't really know anything about subs, but he still has an interest in them. We went into the the shop it was at and I was trying to tell him how the W7 they had sitting out was a rip off and why for the price. LOL a JL representative was right next to me, whoops.

There is a local dealer here in Vancouver, that sells some decent equipment, but others I am kind of sketched out by. He sells quite a bit of Treo equipment, and I went in there one day and started talking about how much I like my ssx 12'' and I told him that I will most likely be running 2 of them off of an Mmats 4000.1 hd, and he told me that Mmats was junk compared to the Clif designs 4800 or whatever it was, that he had there. I then told him that the Mmats was 95% efficient at 4 ohms, and he then started to laugh at me and tell me that there is no possible way to make an amp that efficient.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

stangman67

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
stangman67
Seattle
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date