I had my amp clamped for output and now I'm confused

JonM

I'm running HCCA 8k at 2 ohm. I had my amp clamped at usaci at 3640 watts at full volume. I've had this set up for 4 months. I'm pushing 2 2,500 watt rms, 5,000 12" HCCAs, both 2 ohm. I blew both up last month and had to recone them. My question is: How did these blow with 1820 watts going to each of them when therere 2,500 watts rms a piece. Why is the amp only clamping At 3640 watts when the box says its around 6,500 watts at 2 ohms. I'm pretty new to this.

impedance rise

once the sub is playing the resistance will change. usually 2x the resting resistance is common for ported boxes. some people have 4x some have 1.5x

but there will always be some rise.

also it is the most rise at enclosure tuning but also the most efficient. so you may be getting less power but still be louder than at a different frequency with more power.

so just because you clamped x watts at one frequency doesnt mean you werent getting close to 6k at a different frequency. or if you had a clipped signal that can damage subs.

clip that signal and its more than enough to blow those subs, give them 3kw rms clean and they wont blow unless you're unloading them and kill them with low frequencies

I'm running HCCA 8k at 2 ohm. I had my amp clamped at usaci at 3640 watts at full volume. I've had this set up for 4 months. I'm pushing 2 2,500 watt rms, 5,000 12" HCCAs, both 2 ohm. I blew both up last month and had to recone them. My question is: How did these blow with 1820 watts going to each of them when therere 2,500 watts rms a piece. Why is the amp only clamping At 3640 watts when the box says its around 6,500 watts at 2 ohms. I'm pretty new to this.
shoulda done 1 ohm. you were clipping them to hell at 2 ohm because you werent satisfied with the output. Whenever you wire to 1 ohm expect 2 to 3x the box rise so you actually end up at 2 to 3 ohms power wise you will never get 1 ohm power wired to 1 ohm EVER. This is why people claim they can put double the rms to their subwoofers its not because the subs can take a lot of power, its because of box rise and the sub is just seeing rated power instead. This is why headroom is important their subs can handle rated power because its clean power. Yours was less than rated rms but was dirty as hell due to your dissatisfaction with the output.

The shop who installed it said I had to wire the 1 ohm amp AF 2 ohm and the 2 ohm subs at 2 ohm. How do I wire it up so it doesn't clip and I get maximum power from the amp to the subs. What do you mean "whenever you wire to one ohm, expect 2-3x the box rise you never get one ohm power wired to one ohm"? What exactly is box rise and how does it affect my system?

The shop who installed it said I had to wire the 1 ohm amp AF 2 ohm and the 2 ohm subs at 2 ohm. How do I wire it up so it doesn't clip and I get maximum power from the amp to the subs. What do you mean "whenever you wire to one ohm, expect 2-3x the box rise you never get one ohm power wired to one ohm"? What exactly is box rise and how does it affect my system?
Google my friend... the search on this website is broken but google subwoofer box rise and plenty of videos from YouTube will walk you through what it is

just what he said man when subs move they not 2 ohm amp sees 4-6 2.5ohm changes constantly so whatever power amp has u never get but about 1/2 to sub that y these guys run crazy power to subs.. basically as far as subs blowing just turngain down or don't turn hu up as high..

whats werid is if u had like a 10k rms amp and set gain real low but u still got a little more power to subs say 1k per sub (over rated power even after rise) with no distortion subs probably wouldn't blow.. i'm running 930rms to a 600rms $70 pioneer... 1 question did u have bass boost turned on the amp or preset eq on hu or just bass up on hu., if so thats where your clipping came in..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.