I found some new ****!!!!!

I got some audioques layin around both the 2.0 series the 8s would be on 1000 watts the 12s 500 both would be custom boxed but i dont wanna go ahead and build it if one would be louder

Ive done both, and its a lot easier to do 2 12s. Went form 4 e8v3s on 3k to 2 zv2 12s on a 3500 at half and its A LOT louder. Definitely more motor and coil available with 2 12s, I feel like these guys are forgetting that most 8s have little 2" coils, and less than 20lb motors. 2 12s is defintely the better way to go, with limitless power handling depending on what 12s you buy. 8s are limited.

Cone area pushes air,along with xmaxx,but 2-12s have a little more cone area than 4-8s.
Indeed, 2 12's have slightly more cone area but if they are exactly the same subs the 8's will have more motor force and they will probably take more power.

I got some audioques layin around both the 2.0 series the 8s would be on 1000 watts the 12s 500 both would be custom boxed but i dont wanna go ahead and build it if one would be louder
The four 8's on 1000w will be louder than 2 12's on 500w

yeah, but 4 two inch coils adds up to 8 inches of coils total, just sayin. and what if it were 4 x8's, or some of the 8's that offer 2.5 inch coils?
Coil area doesn't work like that. You have to look at length as well as distance around and it's still not as linear a relationship as your suggesting. Cone area is close, but that's all thats going to be close here, unless you get a really overbuilt 8. 12's have deeper baskets allowing for more excursion, can fit bigger coils sometimes much bigger (4inches) and are generally better speakers as well as cheaper. It takes too much extra work to get top tier parts on a 8. An overbuilt 8 is going to run you the same price as a nice 12 and since you need 2x as many, you could have just gotten a sick set of 12's for a similar price. Unless you can't fit anything over 11inches tall in your trunk I'd do the 12's every single time. 2 12's with a 3inch coil and 20+mm of xmax with good motor force isn't going to be beaten by 4 8's in a daily application.

yeah, but 4 two inch coils adds up to 8 inches of coils total, just sayin. and what if it were 4 x8's, or some of the 8's that offer 2.5 inch coils?
Coil area doesn't work like that. You have to look at length as well as distance around and it's still not as linear a relationship as your suggesting. Cone area is close, but that's all thats going to be close here, unless you get a really overbuilt 8. 12's have deeper baskets allowing for more excursion, can fit bigger coils sometimes much bigger (4inches) and are generally better speakers as well as cheaper. It takes too much extra work to get top tier parts on a 8. An overbuilt 8 is going to run you the same price as a nice 12 and since you need 2x as many, you could have just gotten a sick set of 12's for a similar price. Unless you can't fit anything over 11inches tall in your trunk I'd do the 12's every single time. 2 12's with a 3inch coil and 20+mm of xmax with good motor force isn't going to be beaten by 4 8's in a daily application.

2 12's all day. If we are talking the same model woofer on both ends than is kind of a crap shoot. 2 12's have slightly more cone area and definitely are not limited (specifically on the low end) mechanically and physically.

You can make both setups sound great and hit hard with the right box design.

Its honestly what kind of LOOK you are going for, because they can both sound the same.

I'm personally a fan of two 12s, and its what I plan on putting in my truck here soon.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.