I feel dumb asking this but..

exoplanetary

CarAudio.com Newbie
I went to Best Buy and had them install a Pioneer AVH 2330NEX into my 2013 Subaru Impreza. The car cigarette lighter and 2 usb ports in the center console stopped working. I asked what I needed to do and they said I needed to buy an adapter but wouldn't explain what kind of adapter I needed. I went back another 2 times but could never figure it out or get anyone to answer my questions. It would have been easier if I just installed the stereo myself.

Does the cigarette lighter and center console run through the stereo? Do I need an adapter? This is driving me crazy cause sometimes I need to be able to charge my phone without my stereo taking over my phone and I only have the plug from the stereo at the moment.

At one point I found a video that said I needed to swap out the usb module in my center console and the cord but wasn't sure what kind of cord was needed for the Pioneer 2330 and lost the video.

At the time I was going to have them install a back up camera. But I couldn't decide what camera to use. Otherwise I would have just installed it myself.

Yeah, I'll bug them again. This time I'll talk to a manager. But if someone thinks of a possible solution or more information I'd appreciate it. Unfortunately cause of corona I'm probably stuck for a few months until they open up again.

If I need an adapter then I'll buy one but I just have no idea what adapter it would be. When I search for "cigarette lighter broken after stereo install" it thinks I wanna plug a stereo into a cigarette lighter. Maybe it's a usb splitter? I don't even know if the cigarette lighter runs through the car stereo.

This is a similar video to what I found before. I think this might be the issue that I'm having. My google-fu skills are getting rusty. But not sure how to fix the cigarette lighter. Maybe I'll go find another forum to bug. Not sure if this was the right one since it's not really an audio issue.

At the time I was going to have them install a back up camera. But I couldn't decide what camera to use. Otherwise I would have just installed it myself.

Yeah, I'll bug them again. This time I'll talk to a manager. But if someone thinks of a possible solution or more information I'd appreciate it. Unfortunately cause of corona I'm probably stuck for a few months until they open up again.

If I need an adapter then I'll buy one but I just have no idea what adapter it would be. When I search for "cigarette lighter broken after stereo install" it thinks I wanna plug a stereo into a cigarette lighter. Maybe it's a usb splitter? I don't even know if the cigarette lighter runs through the car stereo.
I have absolutely no clue what they did to bust that. I've only Installed on early 2000's cars. COULD be an adapter. or they COULD have shorted it out and don't wanna be responsible. they COULD have corrupted a ground or they COULD have taken the power from your cig lighter to power the radio or remote amp to avoid using an adapter. my thing is I didn't know 2013's still had cig lighters lol

for my car apparently the the 12v switched WILL NOT give power without a stock radio or super expensive harness. I had to run power from my main fuse-box. I could see a lazy best buy employee running it from somewhere close, sacrificing functionality to avoid removing more panels and running wire from the engine bay.

for my car apparently the the 12v switched WILL NOT give power without a stock radio or super expensive harness. I had to run power from my main fuse-box. I could see a lazy best buy employee running it from somewhere close, sacrificing functionality to avoid removing more panels and running wire from the engine bay.
Right..Pure laziness is what Im thinking, and prob did not have what was needed in stock but wanted to make that $ and deal with BS issues later on

Double check your fuses to possibly get your lighter back going .. new vehicles can sometimes have multiple fuse panels.. I fixed a bad lighter in a mercedes after a car stereo shop told them their old lighter went through the factory radio and was reason it no longer worked . 5 mins of google search I had them back going .. a fuse was blown in a passenger dash fuse panel.. there were also a panel on drivers side and 1 or 2 fuse boxes under the hood .. as far as your factory usb that would've been controlled from your factory deck .. the lighter I'm pretty sure not ... I've never heard of a lighter going through the deck in any vehicle .. though the wire is often found behind the deck that controls your lighter ..if they touched it to ground they could've of easily blown the circuit and wouldnt need it for the new radio..the circuits are usually blown when some inexperienced person is probing around with a test light trying to find an easy accessory wire ... your lucky they didnt blow your airbags ...

By that video I see what the issue is. Your USB and auxillary are connected directly to the oem radio. Once you swapped out the radio, the harness had no place to plug into. Solution is to have a stereo that has usb and aux plugs in the back. That is where video guy connected that cable to. If your stereo does not have usb output, you may connect this doohickey hidden away to a 12v source. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335951755&icep_item=162873268027. And then to this kit from the video https://carboncarsystems.com.au/shop/installation-accessories/dual-usb-aux-adapter-for-subaru/

On second thought, your cigarette lighter should be independent of the radio... Like louisiana_crx said, check fuses or if it was plugged back in. If usb ports are next to lighter, then they probably are connected to it as well. Fingers crossed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.