I cannot for the life of me rid my alty whine....please help.

BassAddictJ
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
FL
Ever since switching from a stock HU to aftermarket there has been differing levels of alty whine. I've made my connections solid and still there's a small but noticabley enraging alternator whine. No matter what deck i switch in or out, amps, preamps, whatever....it's there.

-All connections are solid, i've gone through multiple times, i'm pretty **** certain all connection are good.

-For the most part rca's and power wires are seperate. in tight spaces in this small car they come close, but it's most well organized and the rca's are all monster and other good *** rca wire.

-Power cable down one side, speaker wire budle down the middle, rca's down the right and a little in the middle near the front.

-I've got 12v dc in line noise filters on the HU's power constant and another on ign. I've tried cheaper rca noise filters, they only help when there's massive alty whine, not this tiny bit i have.

-I've tried diff power/grounds for the HU with direct power/ground to the battery....nadda inprovement...

Do noise gates really work? maybe an old school high end one? ppi made one thatd match my stuff....if i could find one.

wtf.....

Sorry let me clarify.....the whine i'm getting is a background noise audible through my midranges and alittle through my tweeters.

ive used clarions, eclipse, alpine, kenwood, pioneers....several of pioneers and eclipses actually...no change...still that little annoyign bit present.

Still rockin' the mini ? I had a friend with a similar problem with his a while back. Let me get a hold of him and see what he did to fix it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

wrap your rcas on a nice thick blanket of foil from where they connect to the deck to like a foot back then tie a wire into the foil, wrap it all with electrical tape and ground the wire. should work fine.

wrap your rcas on a nice thick blanket of foil from where they connect to the deck to like a foot back then tie a wire into the foil, wrap it all with electrical tape and ground the wire. should work fine.
i take it this works well for where the rca's get close to speaker/power wires in close quaters? Near my deck/preamp, preamp under the passn seat, and back near my amps it gets alittle crowded. I'll definitly try this method.

sometimes you can add a 1 farad cap close to your battery under the hood as a filtering device and this will work...when its close to the main battery you don't get the issues people will get from being in the trunk away from the main battery...you'll need to run your amp wiring and deck constant through it....another thing is to try and run a gnd wire 16g from deck to rear amplifier ground...if your car is a unibody...they are known for weak grounding in the trunk...so will need a ground pulled from front of car to rear sames size as pos wire....to beef up the grounding...hopefully one of these solutions may help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i take it this works well for where the rca's get close to speaker/power wires in close quaters? Near my deck/preamp, preamp under the passn seat, and back near my amps it gets alittle crowded. I'll definitly try this method.
yeah it works great anywhere its just basically super shielding. i had that problem and then one day i was like hmmm i wonder if this would work, tried it and i think ill do it in every set up i do just to prvent such a thing from happening. id say the only thing better than this is getting a sheet of lead and wrapping it but that wouldnt be very practical.

now do i need to ground both end?

the monster cables i have had a piece of wire coming out of the insulation and i didnt hinkmuch of it. perhaps it has something like you mentioned built in and i should try groundign that wire? i cut it hella short, but im sur ei can open the insulation and find it...

sometimes you can add a 1 farad cap close to your battery under the hood as a filtering device and this will work...when its close to the main battery you don't get the issues people will get from being in the trunk away from the main battery...you'll need to run your amp wiring and deck constant through it....another thing is to try and run a gnd wire 16g from deck to rear amplifier ground...if your car is a unibody...they are known for weak grounding in the trunk...so will need a ground pulled from front of car to rear sames size as pos wire....to beef up the grounding...hopefully one of these solutions may help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
i have no hood bat, jus tthe d3100 in the trunk. i think i'll try a cap for shits and giggle to see if it helps. should i put it before the bat or after the bat.....my electrical goes alty to back bat to amps to chasis ground. amp 12v constants go through this main power line, but not the deck...i'll give that a try and see if it helps. i tried running the deck constand off a seperate 12v run directly off the bat with no luck, but who knows i'll try again.

and the extra 16ga ground from deck to back amps.....i have all 3 of my amps grounded directly to the back battery (and battery grounded to chasis). should i just run this extra 16ga ground to the back battery neg post?

yeah it works great anywhere its just basically super shielding. i had that problem and then one day i was like hmmm i wonder if this would work, tried it and i think ill do it in every set up i do just to prvent such a thing from happening. id say the only thing better than this is getting a sheet of lead and wrapping it but that wouldnt be very practical.
i found what looked like a piece of wire comign out from the sheathing of the monster cable rac's i have. i triued groundin that....but no effect //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Question? Is are you amps screwed to metal? It could be ground looping it self. causing wine..
negative ghost rider.....both amp are secured to wood racks/coolig enclosures....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.