I blew it, suggestions?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Sooo, I bought a 12" Alpine type R bout 4-5 months ago.. Set the gains and all was well. Month ago I decided to start doing upgrades to my electrical system, because I didn't feel like it was as loud as it should be. Started by upgrading grounds.. marked improvement, didn't reset the gains //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif. Everything was still going fine. Then I decided to put a 2g wire alt to battery. Wow Sub was banging then //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.. But I didn't reset the gains.. Drove to work banging the brains out of it.. Blew the voice coil //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif.. Put a multi-meter on the amp, it was trying to push somewhere near 1500w, probably not clean at all //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif. You live you learn...

Soo.. Need a new sub setup, thinking this time I would go multi-sub. Also I think I want to go with cheaper subs. The idea would be just to get a single sub now, even if I have to run a higher ohm/less watts. Then build a box for more of em.. and add on. The amp I'm running is the 1000w alpine V-power. This is where i need suggestions.. thinking 70-100$(maybe a tad more)per sub. Here is what I am looking at so far.

Polk dxi124 (360w) 40$ Sonix (Would have to run 3 to use up the power, but they so cheap //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif )

Kicker CWR(500w) 90$ Best Buy

Hifonics BRZ-SQ(600w) 80$ -(Wouldn't be able to use my round sub box though)

Audiopipe TXX-BD1 (600w) 82$ Sonix

Audiopipe TXX-BD2 (750w) 110$ Sonix

Audiopipe TXX-APA (800w) 120$ Amazon or Sonix (also its red which is nice looking/better cone)

PowerAcoustik Goth (1200w) 80$ wally or 90$ sonix

PowerAcoustik Mofo (1500w) 124$ Sonix

Pioneer TS-W3003 (600w) 95$ (Probably one of the best for price, but pioneer is boring //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif )

Wish the newer JBL subs didn't cost 200$, because the 2/4 ohm selectable thing is sweet. Which brings up the next problem. My amp only goes down to 2 ohm. The audiopipes which seem like the best bang for the buck, only appear to come in dual 4 ohm, which means to get all the power from the amp I got to run 3 of em(or 1). Same story with the hifonic and polk(plus the polk are low power). So of these I'd need to run either the kickers or PA to get dual 2 ohm so I can run 2 subs at 2 ohms or work on a 3 sub box instead..

I would get 2 sa15's off the yard sale and run at 2ohm

Then if you need more power get a 2000w amp and run at .5ohm

or do like 6 of those Polk dxi subs

That would get loud

My friend had 2 dxi 12's on a audiophile 1500.1 and they were loud

I am running the Power Acoustik gw3 15 and it's pretty good not going to lie. I got bored and ordered one just because I like the look. I have it on 1krms and it has great low end and top end. I am contemplating on purchasing 3 more and doing a budget wall. For the $60 I paid nothing can touch it.

As a poster said the yard sale Sundown Sa15 is hard to beat at $130. Only issue is they are not guaranteed to match or work 100%

Sadly I am leaning towards the kicker cwr 122's because I can get them locally with BB return policy.. Also When I was growing up in the late 90's, I had 2 comp vr's on like 300 watts and they were absolute monsters.. kinda want the kicker nostalgia. If walmart sold the dual 2 ohm gothiks I would highly consider them.. I could I guess try to fit 3 of em in there tho... Those polks are soooo cheap though! Are they crappy subs or just under rated? Like why are they so cheap, I always seen polk as high quality stuff, maybe thats not the case for their subs?

Sadly I am leaning towards the kicker cwr 122's because I can get them locally with BB return policy.. Also When I was growing up in the late 90's, I had 2 comp vr's on like 300 watts and they were absolute monsters.. kinda want the kicker nostalgia. If walmart sold the dual 2 ohm gothiks I would highly consider them.. I could I guess try to fit 3 of em in there tho... Those polks are soooo cheap though! Are they crappy subs or just under rated? Like why are they so cheap, I always seen polk as high quality stuff, maybe thats not the case for their subs?
Don't get me wrong those kickers are OKAY at best but not worth the money. Best buy is overpriced. Amazaon has a great return policy. Polk Audio is good stuff. You aren't going to get earth shattering bass from those specific drivers but they are cheap enough to get a few and move some air. No replacement for displacement.

My question for you is what kind of box are you going to use?

Right now I have a single 12" ported tuned to about 42hz 1.75 cu/ft box. I will probably ditch that box and turn it into an over priced cat sleeping hut. I haven't fully decided what I am going to do when i get a 2nd or 3rd sub. I'm pretty sure I am going to hand craft something that can fit nicely in my trunk.. Even thought about taking the back rest part of the back seats out and do a flush wall type deal with some pleather covering. As far as ported or sealed... I keep flopping back and forth on that... I listen to a lot of metal/rock.. but like to bass it out with some pop/rap here and there. Thus I want to stick with 12's, seriously considering going to sealed on this next setup..

I went to BB to see about that 40CWR122 that was supposedly in stock.. it wasn't there.. 90$ is still a good deal for that sub IMO. They offered to do 30$ off on the newer 43cwr122 making it 120$ +tax.. just felt like that was too much for it...Altho it would make it easier to find a 2nd sub later on..? Amazon has the 40cwr122's for 110$ or 2 for 200$. BB might be able to order me one too..

Do you think the power acoustiks are better than the kickers? What about 3 of those Polks VS 2 kicker compr's?

Right now I have a single 12" ported tuned to about 42hz 1.75 cu/ft box. I will probably ditch that box and turn it into an over priced cat sleeping hut. I haven't fully decided what I am going to do when i get a 2nd or 3rd sub. I'm pretty sure I am going to hand craft something that can fit nicely in my trunk.. Even thought about taking the back rest part of the back seats out and do a flush wall type deal with some pleather covering. As far as ported or sealed... I keep flopping back and forth on that... I listen to a lot of metal/rock.. but like to bass it out with some pop/rap here and there. Thus I want to stick with 12's, seriously considering going to sealed on this next setup..
I went to BB to see about that 40CWR122 that was supposedly in stock.. it wasn't there.. 90$ is still a good deal for that sub IMO. They offered to do 30$ off on the newer 43cwr122 making it 120$ +tax.. just felt like that was too much for it...Altho it would make it easier to find a 2nd sub later on..? Amazon has the 40cwr122's for 110$ or 2 for 200$. BB might be able to order me one too..

Do you think the power acoustiks are better than the kickers? What about 3 of those Polks VS 2 kicker compr's?
I'd give sundown E series a good hard look before touching any of these borderline flea market models of subs. Kicker subs have gone down the sh*t hole since you've last ran them.

[video=youtube;-hjKWEoERsY]

Those E series sundowns only come in dual 4 ohm setup.. I'd really like to go dual 2 ohm.. You think sundown is that much better than audio pipe? Comparing similar priced models that is..

Stupidest question I've ever asked.. Is there anyway to get 2 dual 4 ohm subs to run close to 2 ohms? I've always wondered about using under sized speaker wire and/or extra long wire to add resistance..?

ahaahahaa.. My type R wasn't blown after all. When i checked the resistance I did it on the speaker wire ends. Today I took the sub out of the box because I was going to donate it to kitty. Decided to check the resistance on each coil. Measured just fine.. Turns out the negative jumper fell out. I stuck the jumpers back in jammed in with the wires so they won't fall out again. I'm glad it works.. but now I am stuck on how to upgrade. to get back to 2 ohms, I'll have to buy 2 more type r's which cost a lot just run each at 333 watts...or sell the amp or sell the dual 4 ohm and get some dual 2's..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.