I believe my amp is messed up but I'm not 100% sure [Video]

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mugen
10+ year member

Superhero.
Walker, LA

I just uploaded this video, I have the volume reasonably low and the gain on the amp is only about halfway up. The phone is like right next to the speaker, which is an Ascendant Audio Assassin 8" and the amp is a hifonics brutus 1610d.

I don't really know what I'm listening for to know if that is the sound of a fucked up speaker or a broken amp, so maybe you guys can shed some light on it for me.

Guess I should mention that the amp does have a solid green light, which I believe indicates it doesn't think anything is wrong, so I'm not really sure. New speakers would be cheaper than new amp i think so I kinda hope it is the speakers.

it's not the speakers. i recognize that sound any day. blown transistor(s), or driver. sorry. it will likely throw a protect when a transistor shorts, feeding the speaker strait power, but not when it stops passing current. good news is, that it is usually a cheaper repair if it is not shorted.

So who exactly do I bring this too to get it repaired? Would local audio shops be able to do it, or do I need to find someone who works on amps specifically? What do you mean by driver as well? Is that part of the amp?

Thanks for your help man, I'm glad it might not be too expensive.

I see your in Louisiana . I'd try to get a hold of a man named Perry Babin. Best amp repair guy you will find in that area or period for that matter. He is really busy usually though. Try emailing him here : babin_perry@yahoo.com

Best you'll find. Check your PM's too. I sent you something about this amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.