Humid trunk area + MDF = mush

grampi
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Cheyenne
My sub enclosure made of MDF is disforming because of the moisture in my trunk. It's a sealed enclosure, but it's about to become not sealed. Aparently sealing it with primer isn't good enough. I'm thinking of building a new one, spraying it with a primer, then sealing it with something like Krylon. Will this work, or is there something that works better?

try getting rid of the moisture //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

*looks around for other sane people*

try getting rid of the moisture //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
*looks around for other sane people*
I think thats the biggest consurn..... what about ur amp.... **** I would be so worried about my amp frying!

I don't think the trunk has a leak. I never see any water in any of the crevasses, or anywhere else for that matter. The entire interior of this car has always been very humid and even if the temp drops just a little I usually have to run the defroster on full just to keep enough of the windshield clear to be able to drive. I really think the interior of my car (including the trunk area) has some type of a greenhouse effect going where it produces its own moisture.

I 'paint' my enclosures with wood glue. Just put on latex gloves, or not, and spread a thin layer of wood glue over the entire thing. Not so nice to paint after that though. How about deck sealer or spray on bedliner?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.