HPF not working CDA-117

AllenH427
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So it just occurred to me why my clipping light has been flashing more frequently with my new Alpine CDA-117. I have the HPF on the deck set to 100 Hz. That doesn't affect the subs at all, only the speakers. And the LPF on my AQ 1200D doesnt work no matter which way you turn it from 20-200Hz. So basically, for the past month my subs have been trying to play every frequency. I dont know what to do now..

from the title of the thread and the description youre posting, it almost sounds like you dont know what youre talking about. you should have a low pass on your HU that would help the sub. If I remember right this is similar to the 9887 and you should have pretty good control over this. You should also have a dedicated sub channel on your HU that is non fading and generally puts out only the lows if your lpf is set or not. Also im pretty sure thats not a clip light. My hu blinks every time i touch a button. its one thing to clip with the internal amp but i dont see how the deck would know if the amp is clipping in your trunk. alse the high notes shouldnt cause it to clip or i might as well wire my speakers back to the hu and keep it turned to 4

As I learned with the 9885, the crossover only impacts the front and rear channels (both RCAs and internal amplifiers) but NOT the sub channel. Only the 9887 impacts ALL channels. Why Alpine chose to do things this way, I'll never understand. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I have an old Pioneer P850MP deck that would set front, rear, and sub crossovers although it lacks a bandpass ability.

I do know what I'm talking about, I'm talking about the clipping light on my remote knob from my amp. And their is no LPF for the sub, just HPF for the speakers. On my amp, the LPF isn't working..

Wow the CDA-117 has no LPF? I know with the 9887 you have to set the cuttoff and then set the slope. If you don't move the slope from 0 or Flat you wont get any kind of cutoff. Does the CDA-117 not give you teh slope options?

I cant find a LPF on my CDA-117 anywhere. I wonder what the Sub LPF is set to... Im kind of disapointed that I cannot set this myself. Thought you may be able to with an imprint unit.

I cant find a LPF on my CDA-117 anywhere. I wonder what the Sub LPF is set to... Im kind of disapointed that I cannot set this myself. Thought you may be able to with an imprint unit.
The HPF is working on the headunit. There is no LPF and you have to use the one on your amp, the headunit doesnt preset it to anything.

Your amp is more than likely clipping due to the gain being too high, rather than trying to play higher than intended frequencies.

Obviously the easy way to check this is to lower the gain level slightly with the system on and the indicator just starting to flash and then see if it stops flashing.

also, i don't know if it's been asked but how did you set the gain?

nevermind I didnt realize this was almost 4 month old thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.