how's everyone getting straight cuts??

table saw=money which i dont have. just gave Mike over at SS all of that stuff.......yah, my fence is clamped.....maybe i got a shitty eye, but even when the edge is flush and all it dont come out straight.
So, does that mean that you dont use a carpenter's square? cause I believe that'll help you quite a ****ed bit. Square, 4' metal measure/guide, circular saw, two C clamps. Cheap, easy, great place for you to start.

MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE.

-Nick

i just got a new circular saw with a laser alignment tool. i love it.
Now, I have a question: The laser guide is mounted to the saw chassis, right? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Now, I have a question: The laser guide is mounted to the saw chassis, right? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
right but it will assist you in following a straight line. if you can make a straight line then following it it easier. the laser is only an aid.

you know what works good if you do not have access to a table saw? if I don't have a straight edge handy, I just knock off about two inches off my sheet of MDF with my circular saw and have and instant straight edge. a brand new sheet of MDF comes perfect square, so you know the end is good for a straight edge. (just dont use the side you just got dont cutting). Also befor you make the cut measure out 3 inches on each side, that way you can take the new straight edge you just made to connect the dots and draw that straight line. Then measure out the distance from the inside of yor blade to the edge the saw rides along the fence on. Take that measurement, and from the line you just made to cut, measure back the distance you need to clamp your MDF straight edge and make a second line. clamp your MDF straight edge on that line and use it as your fence. Run the saw along that fence and you have the exact sheet of MDF just as square only 3 inches shorter. But now you have a straight edge, and a fence, and a technique when you dont have a long straight edge square, or a fence. This works good for a circular saw. Don't use a jig saw for cuts unless you have to. they are best for curves. They do okay for straight cuts, but not as good as a circular saw, or nealy as good as a table saw.

*Also, if you dont have any clamps, you can use an inch long screw to temp hold your fence down. That works well too.*

it was late so **** off
LOL the one I just posted is similar to alot of other peoples. THe same actually just worded different. I was worried mine wouldnt make sence. I have no clue what the hell you were trying to say, unless you really were just joking. I thought it was a joke, I laughed my Ass off.

right but it will assist you in following a straight line. if you can make a straight line then following it it easier. the laser is only an aid.
You do know that a circ saw can shift it's path...? Also, are you using any kind of square?

All you need is a long piece of wood/metal, two clamps and a right angle. Clamp the guide to the wood, make adjustments using the right angle and by measuing then tighten and cut.

**crap just saw that joe dirt already suggested this**

So, does that mean that you dont use a carpenter's square? cause I believe that'll help you quite a ****ed bit. Square, 4' metal measure guide, two C clamps. Cheap, easy, great place for you to start.
MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE.

-Nick
im using the 4 foot t square, two clamps and circle saw.....i didnt know it was that hard to understand.

A GOOD pair of carbonized edged scissors (or diamond edged if you want to get spendy) will cut with ease through 3/4 MDF, not hard at all to follow a line with them either. My pair has lasted for 4 boxes and is still very sharp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

saywhat?

5,000+ posts
satx120, jealous?
saywhat?
H'Burg Mississippi!
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date