How to fix the Pioneer RCA alternator whine

In my previous post I mentioned secondary grounding by factory. I didn't word it correctly. I meant try grounding hu chassis as well. Some factory mounting points are designed as hu chassis grounds. The aftermarket hu probably don't have same noise issues but you never know.

Does it have noise with no sound coming out? Volume on 0? When you try another grounding point make sure nothing else is grounded anywhere around it.

I think Snapper Slapper is saying to easily and cleanly ground the RCA's that's the fix. No one thinks it's your pico fuse. That's an issue with head unit so if the hu is on it's going to cause noise. Since you don't have noise when the hu is on and car off - not pico.

In my previous post I mentioned secondary grounding by factory. I didn't word it correctly. I meant try grounding hu chassis as well. Some factory mounting points are designed as hu chassis grounds. The aftermarket hu probably don't have same noise issues but you never know.Does it have noise with no sound coming out? Volume on 0? When you try another grounding point make sure nothing else is grounded anywhere around it.

I think Snapper Slapper is saying to easily and cleanly ground the RCA's that's the fix. No one thinks it's your pico fuse. That's an issue with head unit so if the hu is on it's going to cause noise. Since you don't have noise when the hu is on and car off - not pico.
When the volume is at 0 the whine is still there but a tiny bit quieter than with it at volume 1, i don't remember any whine when i had no aftermarket amps and it was running through the factory amps (factory system was a mach 460 had like 2 or 3 little amps)

Proper troubleshooting is to eliminate all possibilities before determining what it is.

There was far more things to check before assuming it was pico fuse.

Everything needs to share the same ground as it sounds like it is not and is creating a ground loop.

Another thing is you may need a power filter as well if your or some equipment is faulty in not filtering out these types of issues.

What are the amps grounded too? If Pico fuse not bad (as board doesnt look like it is burnt to me) You may have a bad ground on the amp/amps.Id try new ground location first.If amp is in trunk, you can use the spare tire lug nut by removing the spare tire placing a washer then 4ga with ring terminal then washer then nut to tighten down(be sure to scratch up the ring terminal as it has a bit of a coating on it then replace spare tire as normal with lug nut so it is back to normal use without messing with grounding point.That been a fairly decent /easy ground for most cars for me.Other than that,drill a hole and run ground point to a bolt on the axle with washers and ring terminal is always best.Check for solid grounding point before anything else my opinion.Begin with elimination processing.At times simplicity can become the culprit!

What are the amps grounded too? If Pico fuse not bad (as board doesnt look like it is burnt to me) You may have a bad ground on the amp/amps.Id try new ground location first.If amp is in trunk, you can use the spare tire lug nut by removing the spare tire placing a washer then 4ga with ring terminal then washer then nut to tighten down(be sure to scratch up the ring terminal as it has a bit of a coating on it then replace spare tire as normal with lug nut so it is back to normal use without messing with grounding point.That been a fairly decent /easy ground for most cars for me.Other than that,drill a hole and run ground point to a bolt on the axle with washers and ring terminal is always best.Check for solid grounding point before anything else my opinion.Begin with elimination processing.At times simplicity can become the culprit!
Thats a good idea for the trunk ground, having a mustang i dont have a frame (mustangs are unibodies) I have tried 2 different grounds on my amps, but if i use a rca cord to 3.5mm and plug it into my iphone or ipod and get no noise with the car running wouldnt that mean my amps are grounded fine? I dont know if it matters but i have a Kicker 10IX500.4 (digital amp) for my speakers.

Thats a good idea for the trunk ground, having a mustang i dont have a frame (mustangs are unibodies) I have tried 2 different grounds on my amps, but if i use a rca cord to 3.5mm and plug it into my iphone or ipod and get no noise with the car running wouldnt that mean my amps are grounded fine? I dont know if it matters but i have a Kicker 10IX500.4 (digital amp) for my speakers.
Digitaql amps are VERY VERY sensative to noise.If you dont have an excellent ground location for ea amp(not a shared ground) they will produce noise/bad feedback. Iphone doesnt carry that much current for signal processing as the voltage through an HU(2-5 volts ). Yet?? You may have an issue with the HU? You might be able to take the HU to a Stereo Shop and have them test it for like $20 bucks and see if they have the same issue? If so?? HU

This does sound like you have an issue with the HU though. Pioneers have been nortorius over the past couple years for the Pico Fuse issue,and it has created a mass of confusion and frustration for the car audio community..Id save some funds and buy a used HU that will get you bye till Tax return season,and get a much better unit/maybe one with T/A and possibility to run active also if needed

Ground everything to battery if u have the wire. Ground batt to frame engine and chassis.

Try it and see. I had a premier amp that never stopped making noise. Sold it.

This does sound like you have an issue with the HU though. Pioneers have been nortorius over the past couple years for the Pico Fuse issue,and it has created a mass of confusion and frustration for the car audio community..Id save some funds and buy a used HU that will get you bye till Tax return season,and get a much better unit/maybe one with T/A and possibility to run active also if needed
Ill have some funds to buy a new deck within the next week, im not sure what T/A or active does, but how does the Alpine CDE-143BT look?

I don't need satellite or HD radio, i only have a 1 Din slot in my car, i have also head kenwoods are kinda like pioneers, or are the new pioneer decks better? I did forget to add i have tried 2 of the same model head units in mine and got the same results with each one.

Ill have some funds to buy a new deck within the next week, im not sure what T/A or active does, but how does the Alpine CDE-143BT look?
I don't need satellite or HD radio, i only have a 1 Din slot in my car, i have also head kenwoods are kinda like pioneers, or are the new pioneer decks better? I did forget to add i have tried 2 of the same model head units in mine and got the same results with each one.
I would take a Kenwood Excelon over an Alpine any day. I o-scoped the preamp signal on several and they're all extremely clean, even at high volumes.

I would take a Kenwood Excelon over an Alpine any day. I o-scoped the preamp signal on several and they're all extremely clean, even at high volumes.
This is just ignorant.

The mid to high end Alpines are internally limited and dont clip at any volume. ie: CDA-9887, 9886, CDA 117, etc.

This is just ignorant.
The mid to high end Alpines are internally limited and dont clip at any volume. ie: CDA-9887, 9886, CDA 117, etc.
I never implied that they are inferior. I have used both and prefer the Kenwoods.

Just got the CDE-143BT yesterday, What a world of a difference it made sound so much better

I had a friend who is a soldering guru remove the Pico fuse and solder a bridge and it made it so much worse lol..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.