How to decide whether to use a shop or a mobile contractor for installation labor?

dennismv

Michigan
Are there any guidelines to help decide who I choose to work when I want to hire someone to install subs and amps into my car?

For example, currently I found a mobile contractor who can come out and do do labor-only install for me for $250, plus parts that I buy myself, so say total about $300, but then he wants to run wires to the door opposed to using existing factory setup.

Then I have a shop that will do labor for $290 + $80 + tax in parts =~ $375, about $75 dollar difference from mobile contractor.

It has been pointed out that there is little point in wiring things up to the speaker, and it is best to keep factory set up. So shop is better in this case.

Will it be worth it for me to call contractor back and explain to him I want to reuse factory wiring, or should I not bother and have the shop do it?

factory wiring is often times smaller and has more connection points which can add resisistance than a straight run of new wire for your speakers. It is always better to run a fresh solid run to your speakers than to use existing wiring. That being said you are getting a steal of a bargain if the mobile contractor is willing to come to your house and do the extra labor that would create a better end product for a lesser price.

factory wiring is often times smaller and has more connection points which can add resisistance than a straight run of new wire for your speakers. It is always better to run a fresh solid run to your speakers than to use existing wiring. That being said you are getting a steal of a bargain if the mobile contractor is willing to come to your house and do the extra labor that would create a better end product for a lesser price.
Question -- so the speaker wires are ones that will run from the amp to the mid range speakers. Labor is going to be cutting, trimming, flushing, etc. The shop will instead interface with the factory wiring harness and reuse the wires already ran to all the speakers from that spot. It will be just connecting and tucking wires. This also makes the installation (and de-installation) more "plug and play", yes?

On some level I see that a "fresh new" install sounds better, but why? Will it retain "plug and play" and "unplug and play" convenience?

I am not replacingfactory speakers yet, why should I "bother" them? How bad can factory wiring be for me to have to do the wiring as contractor suggests?

Factory wiring is adequate for factory mids/highs, but if you are going to spend LESS to have wires ran properly, why not?

Personally when I build kick/door pods I run wires directly to them. In a pinch for a budget/quick install, I'll just tap into the factory wires behind the head unit. It will work all the same as you wont be pushing much power to your mids/highs, when you get into a nice set of components or coaxials amped, might as well run wires directly to them. My last install I "over did", left my crossovers in the trunk near the amp, ran 12awg to each 6.5" mid and 14awg to the tweeters on aprox 150w rms lol.

It will still all be plug and play, might as well have the new wires ran. iirc factory wires are generally only 20-24awg, which "Works" for factory power (generally 12-15w rms without distortion, sometimes up to 20ish watts)

Many factory speakers can actually take a lot more power and still sound "good" on a budget, especially when you cross them over at 80-ish hz on a good amp

mmm .. true. I went to the shop today they said pretty much that -- I do not need new set of wires going to the speakers, unless I plan to run A LOT of power through them and also spend A LOT of money on a new set of speakers.

The thing with a mobile contractor is ... they are a single person. So I deal with them. There is a good and a bad. Good is they install the system for me, and they deal directly with me as a customer so they try to please me. The shop could care less who I am and if they do a top notch job or a mediocre one.

But then if something goes wrong, or there is a 'falling out', a contractor can easily "get lost" or "skip town", or not be easily available.

I have been thinking about it back and force and could not decide, hence this is why I post lol

So far I have stuff like like ..

Contractor

• Pro: Cheaper, personal installation just for me, I can talk to him take photos of install, whatevers
  • Con: lives far away, I depend on his schedule (his closest installation is in 2nd week of March), wants to install wires I don't really need, (why? Really why ... I don't need it, makes me think he's trying to push me into higher-priced install 'Just because')

Shop

• Pro: will be there as techs come and go, more reliable lifetime warranty
  • Con: more expensive, say about $75 more expensive, not crazy much. They basically charge 2x to 3x price on parts like harness/kit/fuses compared to what I can get on Amazon or Crutchfield and $40 more for labor (not installing extra wires).

So my choice is really shop with more reliable warranty for ~$375 for just the stuff I need, or the contractor with for more stuff lol than I need for $75 less with less reliable warranty...

It's a mixed bag. I don't have a clear choice. Depending on your individual priorities, the choice may be clear for you. LOL I have been indecisive.. It is kind of cool and romantic to have a contractor do the job for me and enjoy the perks of a hopefully good install and warranty that depends on his whim.. or get stability of a shop. ya know

I'd go shop, since the contractor is not someone you really know. If things go wrong with the install, he may be on another job and can't fit you in.

Alright thanks all.

I am going to drop off the car tomorrow & let 'em have it. The shop that is. I got my head unit, subs, amps, wiring that all came as is from being installed in the truck of the previous owner. So everything should really be there except maybe wiring harness and dash kit.

I looked again at the mess of wires. I am glad someone's going to deal with it, and not me. There are probably 10-20 individual wire pieces that are to be going from battery to amps to speakers. I am kind of glad I've decided not to mess with installing it myself. So gonna dump it out at the shop and scram while they put it all together. Hell, I'd pay me $400 to do it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Contractor could be kind of a hassle, I have to be there, set appointment, wait. Although interacting will be cool, learning about car audio stuffs. But if stuff goes wrong it has chance to become more of a personal matter rather than business. The only real thing he would do better is I wanted to have him let me take photos of wire connection points, to show off to friends, and he said I can video the whole thing if I care. I don't know how much of a benefit it is for me to have a video of the install, although a few photos would be cool.

There is that.

I assume this is a shop you trust? Headunit and amp installs are one of the most common things so I don't think you'll be displeased provided they have a good reputation and longevity

Diy install is like paying yourself $400, to each their own...
True .. but for me I don't know anything about installation procedure. Nothing.

So for me to install this all either I will need to have someone knowledgeable standing right behind me directing me all the way, or if I don't have someone knowledgeable I can probably spend 2 weeks doing research on this to maybe do a "good enough" install. Yes I will "get" my $400 self-pay install but I will probably "lose out" on $1200 of my time trying to become an expert on something I am not familiar with, when I can be getting paid to be an expert at my regular job.

I mean I can see this being an interesting hobby, but it's kind of far removed from stuff I tend to normally like.

One of my friends is a CNC machinist, he told me he will not trust a mechanic, or a shop, or even a certified audio technician. He has his own standards and he wants to know exactly how his components are connected, soldered, or crimped, where exactly they lay, etc. He is already in the "maker" element so he will go ahead and take, 2, 3, 4 weeks to make a sub system (which is what he is doing on his own car at the moment).

The shop is alright yeah they've been there forever in my city 8 min away from me, so yes I'd say I trust them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.