how to connect pc fan to amp rack

Participant count
  • Participant list
i had a 12v fan hooked up in a setup back in like 2000... I ran the ground into the amp ground and the power for the fan into the remote so it only worked when the amp was on.

i had a 12v fan hooked up in a setup back in like 2000... I ran the ground into the amp ground and the power for the fan into the remote so it only worked when the amp was on.
This will work but is generally not recommended because that remote turn on wire isn't meant to drive a lot of current. You'd be better off wiring in a relay.

Basic Car Audio Electronics Section 36

That fan setup should be fine, you can also have all of them ******* air out and leave a few small holes in the center. Your mindset should be to remove the heat, not ad cool air. The fans should be on the ends as well, not the top.

That fan setup should be fine, you can also have all of them ******* air out and leave a few small holes in the center. Your mindset should be to remove the heat, not ad cool air. The fans should be on the ends as well, not the top.
No, you don't want all the fans blowing the same way, yes you want to remove heat, but the bigger picture is that you just generally want to move air. Equal number ******* in as the number blowing out will achieve that.

No, you don't want all the fans blowing the same way, yes you want to remove heat, but the bigger picture is that you just generally want to move air. Equal number ******* in as the number blowing out will achieve that.
This is a common mistake when adding fans to a system. A fan only displaces so much air, measured in cfm. Say you have 2 pushing cold air in, and 2 pushing hot air out at the other end. Each fan moves 500 cfm. 1000cfm pushing air in, 1000cfm pushing air out. Total air displacement, 1000 cfm. But, if you have all 4 at one end or the other, all pushing or all pulling, with 4 equal sized holes at the other end of the enclosure, the total air displacement would be 2000 cfm.

In other words, having a fan pushing air in will not double the output the fan ******* air out. And their displacements are not cumulative. Having both pusher and puller fans doubles your voltage draw (and noise), while giving no noticeable gain over having half as many just pushing or pulling.

This is a common mistake when adding fans to a system. A fan only displaces so much air, measured in cfm. Say you have 2 pushing cold air in, and 2 pushing hot air out at the other end. Each fan moves 500 cfm. 1000cfm pushing air in, 1000cfm pushing air out. Total air displacement, 1000 cfm. But, if you have all 4 at one end or the other, all pushing or all pulling, with 4 equal sized holes at the other end of the enclosure, the total air displacement would be 2000 cfm.
In other words, having a fan pushing air in will not double the output the fan ******* air out. And their displacements are not cumulative. Having both pusher and puller fans doubles your voltage draw (and noise), while giving no noticeable gain over having half as many just pushing or pulling.
damn you and your logic >_>

I guess I stand corrected...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.