How much wattage can a alpine R-W10D4 really take?

Participant count
  • Participant list

So good 4U

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am wondering what anyone else running this sub is giving them for power I see a lot of people saying that they are giving the older R's 1200w rms each even though they are rated for much less. I get the rating is there to save there a** but I don't want to throw to much at it and kill it I have a single type r in a ported box with a infinity 611a putting out rated 657 rms and is very lack luster almost no excursion and the cheap Rockford's I had before put out more bass with the same amp with smaller wire and before I did the big 3.

What are your box specs? I ran the older type Rs on over 1000 watts rms amp, but that doesn’t actually mean I was always throwing the whole 1000+ watts on it. The gains were set by ear, and I could definitely had blown it if I just set the gains with a meter at a full 1200 watts and pushed it hard playing music. With a 50hz test tone, it could’ve handled 1000+ for A short metering, but playing a 30hz test tone the same way would’ve probably burned it up. The guys who were putting 1200 watts to it probably were not doing that with music for any significant length of time.

Before I got my Type X I read that Alpines needed their FULL rms to really pound. The X is rated 900 rms, and my amp was 907 rms, and like you said, it was “lack luster.” I had to put my HU sub EQ at the full plus 10 for it to sound good. I recently upgraded to a 1500 watt amp, and it’s really come alive! Had to put my sub EQ back to 0. I’d suggest at least a 1000 watt amp for the R.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.