how long is the braking period sundown

a few days.

dont play at full tilt, keep the gain down.

thats what i did.

then after a few days turn it up some. and a week or two later set gain right and your good.

dont need a break in period, period.
the sub's suspension is stiff and it'll only loosen up the more you play it. Taking it easy will just prolong it. Hammer it right out the box
Not gonna say I'm right, but this^^ is what I've been doing... just set gain (correctly) and stretch 'em out. I definitely feel like mine got louder as they loosened up. I think a little common sense goes a long way in determining if you're exceeding any limits.

The whole "break in" myth has been perpetrated by marketing departments and as a means for companies with poor build quality to weasel out of warranty claims.

During comps or metering you will notice most like using new stiff subs to meter higher as the looser it gets it becomes weaker.

Not sure why, but ive seen it happen during turkey drag.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

During comps or metering you will notice most like using new stiff subs to meter higher as the looser it gets it becomes weaker.

weaker is not a great description. Fs gets lower as a spider gets worn in. A lot of spl builds benefit from higher fs driver specs.

weaker is not a great description. Fs gets lower as a spider gets worn in. A lot of spl builds benefit from higher fs driver specs.
This.there are too many uneducated people on this forum now. If a subwoofer really needed a break in period they would specify the time it needed in the manual.

I haven't seen a need for any special break-in process for any of our drivers other than the new platform drivers -- and only when very high power is used (2x or so rated power) that pushes the driver WELL out into the very high excursion territory. The spider needs a little time to soften up before going all the way up to the ~4" or so excursion levels or you risk damaging the spider. Granted that is only under abuse conditions but I can't think of many people who don't abuse the new X, Z, NS, etc =)

So for your case -- the SA-8 v.3 -- no special procedure at all is needed. It will just naturally soften up a little over time but there is no risk of damage by playing it as you want right off the bat.

Parameters change a bit as suspension softens, Fs lowers, Qms and Vas increase. I've also heard of people losing in the lanes after a few burps on a fresh recone. Of course it's just as likely you could gain..... way too many variables to say if it'll hurt or help.

Parameters change a bit as suspension softens, Fs lowers, Qms and Vas increase. I've also heard of people losing in the lanes after a few burps on a fresh recone. Of course it's just as likely you could gain..... way too many variables to say if it'll hurt or help.
Yeah im not to well versed on naming parameters to there exact use, but i seen fresh recones go bad from not letting glue set.

As far as what you mentioned tho in other subs it is true.

Break in periods are not needed especially for a lowend install.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.