How long does Spectrum or Sludge take to dry?

vabigpoppa
10+ year member

VA
whats up, i need to desperately deadin my car............ive pretty much narrowed it down to spectrum or sludge..........but my question is how long does it take for them to dry?

i really dont have the time to do it myself so i was going to take it to my local shop to get it put on, but im reading it takes like 2 to 3 hours to dry between coats? please correct me if im wrong.

but if that is the truth, $40 an hour for installation, i think it might be more feasible to pick up some mat deadner

thanks

Depends on how thick the layers are.

In very thin layers, you can literally stand there and watch it dry.....takes like 10-15 minutes tops. For thicker layers, expect an hour up to multiple hours. For extremely thick layers....takes weeks to fully dry.

The above is from my experience with Spectrum. But temperature/humidity/etc are obviously going to affect the time it takes to dry aswell.

But, I would ask the shop what time you are actually going to get charged for. IMHO they should only charge you for the time they are actually working on the vehicle, and not the dry time since they could be/will be working on other assignments during that time. No reason you should be charged for your car just sitting there.

depends on the climate. with sludge if it's in the open and it's warm and the sun can beat down on it, not very long. in a trunk tucked way in the back in cooler temperatures and no sunlight, it took like a day for it to dry. sludge is so easy to use why do you need someone else to do it? took me like 30 minutes to do my trunk in sludge.

Curing time is WHOLLY a function of the enviroment, regardless of layers. Since it's the water that needs to evaporate in order to cure, it needs to be applied in a VERY dry enviroment...or else just use a fan...I managed to get a thick ass layer to cure in 3 hours in 100% humidity by using a large industrial fan on the mess.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.