how hard would it be to make this box?

d audio 450
10+ year member

ok- hers the plan-

i want to use 1inch mdf board to make a single box for a xxx 10", but i want the box to have a plexi-glass window in it so i can have neons reflecting off the sub. heres the shape of the box i want:

the blue striped plane is where i want the plexi glass to be...

any comments suggestions apprecited

-pat

It's rather simple to build that box, actually...if you have basic wood working knowledge and skills.

Bending the plexi could be done with a heat strip...and you will need thick plexi, upwards of 1/2" or thicker.

- Steve

Originally posted by ridered36 WIll the glass become discolored if over-heated steve?
It would melt...underheating would make you crack it.

You would have a shitty bend if you overheated it...and if you used a heat strip, it would leave an ugly texture on your plexi, right where the bend is...because its starting to melt and touch the material. Couple tips - measure and mark where you want to bend...make sure the plexi is straight across the heat strip, not on an angle...hold the bottom and slowly lift up the top to test if it is warm enough and ready to go...you will be able to tell because it will be real slow going back down and very easy to lift up...then bend over the corner of a counter...making sure it is straight...the marks on the sides of the plexi you pre marked earlier will help you out drastically. I dont know how you would bend 1/2" or bigger plexi on a heat strip...

- Steve

bending plexi is very hard. especially since yours will have to be thick. firs preheat your oven to 300 degrees. get some tinfoil and cover it with pam. then lay the plexy on top of the tinfoil and put it on top a jig made from Preferably some kind of stone or cement. put that on top of a baking pan. then throw it in the oven. you need to bake it for a good 15 hours on like 315 degrees to even get it tender. then crank it up to 350 and let it sit for another 6 hours to get all the H2O out of the plexi so it doesnt bubble up.then you should have some semi flexible clear plexi glass. if the gravity hasnt started to push the top part down onto the right angle jig to for the bend then get some high heat gloves and push it. then crank up the heata little and push it. then repeat untill its bended. take the temp down gradually over like a two hour span. let it sit overnight causeit will be brittle untill its completely cooleddown. then sand the edges down so it fits correctly if you need too and it should be fine.

note: if you use thinner glass, it will be much easier, less time, less heat.

Originally posted by ss3079 It would melt...underheating would make you crack it.

You would have a shitty bend if you overheated it...and if you used a heat strip, it would leave an ugly texture on your plexi, right where the bend is...because its starting to melt and touch the material. Couple tips - measure and mark where you want to bend...make sure the plexi is straight across the heat strip, not on an angle...hold the bottom and slowly lift up the top to test if it is warm enough and ready to go...you will be able to tell because it will be real slow going back down and very easy to lift up...then bend over the corner of a counter...making sure it is straight...the marks on the sides of the plexi you pre marked earlier will help you out drastically. I dont know how you would bend 1/2" or bigger plexi on a heat strip...

- Steve
i wish it were this simple

I wouldn't even try to bend the plexi. I would just make the front panel out of plexi, or put a plexi window in the front. It would get the same look your after and be a heluva lot easier. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

And I know an easier way to bend thicker plexi. but i can't tell all of my secrets //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/satan.gif.9c6a335ed7aeeed3ee273e573f1fcaac.gif

Originally posted by ramos I wouldn't even try to bend the plexi. I would just make the front panel out of plexi, or put a plexi window in the front. It would get the same look your after and be a heluva lot easier. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

And I know an easier way to bend thicker plexi. but i can't tell all of my secrets //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/satan.gif.9c6a335ed7aeeed3ee273e573f1fcaac.gif
Where in Virginia are you??

- Steve

Roanoke/ Salem right down the road from Virginia Tech. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.