How do you define "SQ" for a sub?

7ender
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
After all the research iv'e done, i'm still unsure about how the "sound quality" of a sub is judged. I'm new to subs, though I consider myself an audiophile with regard to other parts of the audio spectrum : ). When a sub is geared towards sq- I would imagine it would sound tighter and cleaner. Would this be a correct assumption?

The only sub iv'e heard extensively is an Fi Q off a kicker kx1000.1, though not in an "optimal" condition (non deadened trunk car). So i'm looking for an explanation in words rather than a comparison as I have few things to compare to.

The reason I ask is because i'm looking for my setup right now. I'm pretty set on an hdc312 with an aq1200d. I know this is an spl sub however, and likes to be tuned high. Ironically, I mostly listen to metal. I want the sub for the times when I occasionally want to bump some Late Night Tip ; ), but i'm curious to how the various subs respond to bass drums etc found in metal. So how would an spl sub, tuned high as such, compare to a sq sub like the Q (at 32hz).

You'll want to look for a woofer with a low FS and a high Xmax, usually. You want to look at the overall build quality of the company you're purchasing from. AQ has great build quality, but their HDC3's probably aren't the best for SQ due to their FS around 40 if my memory serves me correct. Someone else will chime in with more info I'm sure!

that has nothing to do with SQ. a low FS and high xmax? negative. that is not what to look for in a subwoofer for sound quality.

sound quality, as defined by anyone with a brain, is the highest fidelity of the original recording as possible. fidelity is defined by the dictionary here;

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fidelity

so, a sound quality speaker will sound natural, it will have good transient response, it will blend with the front stage so that the subwoofer can not be located in the system, of course build quality is a concern with all things purchased, power handeling is not a factor in sound quality subs, but is always good if a speaker can handle more than rated power. and - in most peoples eyes, sound quality is also about efficiency and space required. almost everyone in the sound quality scene looks for a speaker that does not need a million watts to function normally, and does not require a 5 cubic foot enclosure as well.

we are looking for a driver that operates well in small enclosures, that does not need a lot of power, that blends, transitions from upper frequency sub bass to low frequency with out lag or 'overhang', and that is not overpowering in the system.

so anything that is a power hog in a huge box will most likely NOT be a sound quality subwoofer, but more along the lines of a "street beat" subwoofer that is more loud than anything else. kids these days want SPL, and a SPL sub that is in the right enclosure will not sound bad persay, but it does not fall within the boundaries of sq.

some subwoofers that have been used in sound quality installations with success at world finals have been the following;

image dynamics IDW

image dyanmics IDmax

image dyanmics IDQ

oz audio ME

aura

arc audio

focal

jl w6

hertz

zapco

dls

morel

dynaudio

jbl

phoenix gold

steg

just take a look

http://www.caraudiomag.com/events/caep_0802_iasca_finals_2007/photo_02.html

but daily driving and SQ are totally different goals. you might want to reconsider what you are interested in before you go SQ, because its retarded. and im into sq //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Hey, you can have your cake and eat it too. I've got to 15" Focal Access subs and they do great in SQ and can be bumped up so they do well for daily driving. One of the big differences usually is tuning frequency and often the presence of another sub or kick bass to handle frequencies over about 60-80 Hz (sometimes a bit higher)

few things to look for:

higher q

low inductance

low fs

generally, IB is considered SQ because it doesn't really peak at any certain frequency, its a pretty flat response.

some subwoofers that have been used in sound quality installations with success at world finals have been the following;

image dynamics IDW

image dyanmics IDmax

image dyanmics IDQ

oz audio ME

aura

arc audio

focal

jl w6

hertz

zapco

dls

morel

dynaudio

jbl

phoenix gold

steg

just take a look

but daily driving and SQ are totally different goals. you might want to reconsider what you are interested in before you go SQ, because its retarded. and im into sq //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
few things to look for:
higher q

low inductance

low fs

generally, IB is considered SQ because it doesn't really peak at any certain frequency, its a pretty flat response.
PG FTW!!! I have an audibly very flat response in my sub stage and my pg's sound amazing!! The lows have a huge presence which i have noticed other systems lack, but when i crank it up they continue to respond to the full range with tight highs, good bass drum (which is almost completely out of their range), and strong Lows

IMO, tuning high loses the strong lows as in "LNT" and many other songs

Low distortion.

Low BL distortion.

Low Inductance distortion.

Low suspension distortion.

Etc.

That is an objective SQ driver - some people prefer non-linear BL and other distortions as they can sound pleasing to the ear (eg: suspension distortion is often 2nd order and sounds "warm").

you seriosuly should never post anything again.
but atleast you know aq isnt an sq sub.
I'll give him benefit of the doubt....and call him a newb....learn more then make recommendations, or don't post on things you know little of.

It happens. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
but dont call wolf if ur blind.
you could smell him!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

that has nothing to do with SQ. a low FS and high xmax? negative. that is not what to look for in a subwoofer for sound quality.
sound quality, as defined by anyone with a brain, is the highest fidelity of the original recording as possible. fidelity is defined by the dictionary here;

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fidelity

so, a sound quality speaker will sound natural, it will have good transient response, it will blend with the front stage so that the subwoofer can not be located in the system, of course build quality is a concern with all things purchased, power handeling is not a factor in sound quality subs, but is always good if a speaker can handle more than rated power. and - in most peoples eyes, sound quality is also about efficiency and space required. almost everyone in the sound quality scene looks for a speaker that does not need a million watts to function normally, and does not require a 5 cubic foot enclosure as well.

we are looking for a driver that operates well in small enclosures, that does not need a lot of power, that blends, transitions from upper frequency sub bass to low frequency with out lag or 'overhang', and that is not overpowering in the system.

so anything that is a power hog in a huge box will most likely NOT be a sound quality subwoofer, but more along the lines of a "street beat" subwoofer that is more loud than anything else. kids these days want SPL, and a SPL sub that is in the right enclosure will not sound bad persay, but it does not fall within the boundaries of sq.

image dynamics IDW

image dyanmics IDmax

image dyanmics IDQ

oz audio ME

aura

arc audio

focal

jl w6

hertz

zapco

dls

morel

dynaudio

jbl

phoenix gold

steg

just take a look

Blending is exactly what I was going to mentioned. With an SQ setup you won't notice the sub, it will sound as you have defined midbass and it's all in the front.

Aura = pure sex. Oh I wish I had an NS18.

Hey, you can have your cake and eat it too. I've got to 15" Focal Access subs and they do great in SQ and can be bumped up so they do well for daily driving. One of the big differences usually is tuning frequency and often the presence of another sub or kick bass to handle frequencies over about 60-80 Hz (sometimes a bit higher)
I used to run 3 of the 27A's. Still have them. Those little subs can actually take heaps of power. Each one of mine saw around 600w with no issues. I think Focal highly underrated them.

few things to look for:
higher q

low inductance

low fs

I want the above mentioned Aura NS18 in my vehicle....going IB.

Wait...Daily driving and SQ are different things? I need both, so what sub should I get? :p
Yes, they are different depending on who you talk to. Some people consider daily driving to have the sub thumping, just not excessively. SQ is more of a matter of blending as req mentioned. The purpose of SQ is to sound natural.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

7ender

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
7ender
Los Angeles/San Diego
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date