How do you calculate how much front stage?

I would think 600 watts on a three way setup would work.
2- 6-½" or 8" midbass drivers (200 watts for each)
2- 6-½" midrange speakers (200 watts for each)
2- 3-½" Super Tweets (100 watts for each)
They all probably won't handle that many watts, but headroom is always nice.

Last edited:
I would pick out the speakers I like and then try looking into how much power they can take (not manufacturers rating). Speakers size and efficiency is going to play a huge factor in power needed.

How much money are you trying to throw at this project and what is your level of skill and confidence with custom fabrication?

The budget is what I'm trying to figure out. It's not a competition build or anything special. So if it's not super high end, but does the trick I'm fine. Right now I've got about $400 for speakers, and a small amp. Buying used is probably my only option, even though I would rather buy new. This will be the most powerful set up I've ever had. I'm used to 1.5k budget setups.

I'm not very experienced at installs and fabricating. I have a guy that will be doing the complete install, including building my enclosure in the trunk.

I would think 600 watts on a three way setup would work.
2- 6-½" or 8" midbass drivers (200 watts for each)
2- 6-½" midrange speakers (200 watts for each)
2- 3-½" Super Tweets (100 watts for each)
They all probably won't handle that many watts, but headroom is always nice.

Thanks for the itemized list man. That gives me more direction than you know. I'm just starting to figure out the basics of my front stage. All I know at this point is I need speakers up front and I should probably deaden the doors while I'm at it. Lol

I've got about $400 for speakers, and a small amp.
And you can't build custom door panels to just load it up with components/coaxials. Well IMO just buy a 200$ ish set of components from a reputable brand (Alpine, Kicker, Rockford, JBL/Infinity, CDT, etc.) and a solid 125X2 amp also from a reliable brand and you should be fine. Getting louder will require either ******* your soundstage with adding rears (and doubling the cost) or adding more drivers up front (and more power also doubling the cost plus adding expense of custom fab). From there what's 'enough' is still completely subjective.

I would recommend morel maximus ultra 602 in your situation. There's an open box at Crutchfield right now for $180. These are made to get loud on lower power. I haven't heard them in person, but they come very well recommended both online and by the owner of my local audio shop, he says he loves them and installs them all the time. Plus it's morel, so it can't be that bad.

FYI......i have a 1000 rms 3 way active front stage that cant keep up with my single ported 12 (1500 rms sub stage)
Agreed. Not only that $400 budget for speakers + amp that has to keep up with 3k RMS substage is unrealistic

An aftermarket alternator to run 3k RMS is going to cost more than $400 alone and that's what you want to spend on the entire front stage ?

As i've said in his other threads he keeps over-valuing the substage. Run 1.5k substage and use that money saved for DSP, proper sound deadening, upper mid tier front stage (both amp and speaker wise)

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.