How do I upgrade existing subs/system to be more powerful?

Participant count
  • Participant list

dennismv

Michigan
Currently, I got this:

• Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • 2 JL Audio 10W3v3-4 10" in a sealed box, JX1000/1D amp
  • JX360/4 + Fosgate Power T1682 6 x 8 driver seat + Ford Expedition 1997 stock speakers on passenger seat (at higher SPL they sound blown)
  • I still have a stock sub in the back which I think may be good to get rid of eventually

I don't recall exactly how much I spent but probably over 1K. One of my basshead friends mentioned that for the money I spent, I could realistically pack about 4 times as much bass power into my vehicle. He could be ***-talking, but then he also wired up his own car, picked his own individual parts and cables, while I got my system second-hand, and used an installer.

Well ... I got a couple of questions..

Is it realistically possible to pack 4x as much power than I currently have into a vehicle for 1K?

and ... I do want to upgrade my system maybe not by 4x, but sufficiently, to where it sounds more wholesome that it does now. And that is mymain question here -> what would it look like?

Do I need different subs, or different tuning, or what? Or do I forget the subs and focus on upgrading my stock speakers instead?

In short, if my system is capable of being 4 times as more powerful, how can I get it there, without hopefully not spending more than it is required? Let's say ... $600.

first of all get rid of that stock sub, thats actually fighting against your JL w3 10s cancelling out frequencies causing all sorts of phase issues.

2nd, you have an 80 prs. Learn to use the network mode properly. You are literally just wasting 90% of its capabilities doing a dumb coaxial setup.

3rd, dont use sealed boxes, custom ported box based on the driver's electromechanical parameters and vehicle's acoustics will get you loud even with those jl 10s or if you have the space to give up, a 1/4 wave transmission line enclosure.

cool!

I will have to check but network mode may already be used. I just referred to the speakers as front row and back row, since I have different types of speakers installed in those locations.

I believe they are currently each wired separately to the amp, i.e. I can unplug them individually from the amp, rather than unplugging a pair.

I had them installed at an audio shop, so while I don't know exact details, I'm trusting them to ... know what they are doing.

I agree the stock subs and likely the speakers will have to go.

I do have space to give up so quarter wave t-line enclosure is a definite possibility.

like he said learn how to use the hu.. but u can just get good ported box and be twice as loud with those subs.. but yeah u coulda gotta 1 fu750 12 like mine for $159 couple weeks ago (now $199) or xfl or 4-8 other subs in a ported box with a nice $300 amp stronger than your jl with nice ported box and been louder.. jl is very over priced because they don't sell online so they cost twice what they should to pay the dealers..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.