RaceDVS

CarAudio.com Recruit
2015 gti autobahn

JL 900/5 HD amp

Mosconi 6 to 8 pro dsp

(2) Focal PS165FX component sets

(1) DC Audio level 1 subwoofer

All wiring upgraded.

I've tinkered with the amps gains and get the sound that I want from the speakers (close) but the bass - the rumble - is lacking... When it isn't, it's far too "boomy". I've heard these speakers in a system that blew my mind. I've heard super cheap sub setups that blew me away. I've spent plenty on the stuff I have now and am very hesitant to spend any more.

I'm hoping I might be able to have another 10" sub installed with the equipment I've got now with the subs sealed to give me the feeling I want in the system.

Help!?

*Edit... Meant DC level 1 sub, not 10 😑

Last edited:
What is your music source? Have you tinkered with the low pass, high pass filters on your amplifier? Your manual should help you with those settings. Do you have an equalizer built into your stereo? Have you tried different music sources i.e. cd, flash drive? Seems like you would be getting the sound you want with a DSP. Let us know how you solved your issue.

Lack of information given ..
1- what ohm value is the sub woofer
2- Box size, type, and material used,and thickness
3_ Box sealed or tuned and if tuned, at what Htz
4- Lay out of sub enclosure(Sub up Port rear/Ect.)
5- Amplifier used for sub stage, model # and make (Jl 5 ch only?)
6- HU- Stock Aftermarket if so.. Make and model

2015 gti autobahn
You actually have the perfect car for a booming system. The amp is an awesome unit with 300 watts rms on the sub channel. Now assuming the sub is dual 4ohms wired to 2ohms, it is perfect for that amp. With that car/amp/sub combination, it is a recipe for great controlled boom. The problem may be in your sub box. It may be a prefabricated unit that sounds good on one note but lacks on the rest of the spectrum. Your options are get one designed for your sub, or get a sealed unit according to volume specified by DC Audio.

What is your music source? Have you tinkered with the low pass, high pass filters on your amplifier? Your manual should help you with those settings. Do you have an equalizer built into your stereo? Have you tried different music sources i.e. cd, flash drive? Seems like you would be getting the sound you want with a DSP. Let us know how you solved your issue.

I use Spotify via Bluetooth and pay so I can get the highest quality. My radio is stock, and has bass, mid and treble controls as well as one for the subwoofer. I've tried only CDs as my other source and don't notice much difference regarding my concerns.

I am a noob at this so regarding some other posts, I feel it a bit unsafe for the system to play too much with the filters and gain but have changed them a hair and gotten some somewhat pleasing result, and plugging in the dsp to play with that will be my last resort. I went back to car toys where I bought this system (from a friend who is WICKED with this stuff and hooked me with price, but has been too hard to schedule a time with to address my concerns without driving super far). I ordered another sub and planned to get a new custom box but have it sealed vs ported. I only pulled the trigger here vs getting in over my head with all the factors of what I have as a diy fix because they wanted to have me there during the DSP tuning without me having to ask if I could be.

The posts so far have given me information and/or things to base questions on and I appreciate that, once the subs installed and I get to play with someone knowledgeable about the overwhelming and metallic sound and overly boomy bass - from the tweeters I think and the ported sub - I will post more about how I fixed it, or how it turned out and to extract information from you guys to go about diy style.

PS The whole system was rewired to come through the DSP first from the radio as the guy explained it when he looked at my invoice, so it was able to be time aligned and all that fancy stuff a DSP can do.

So you're using the factory headunit as your source to the dsp?

Most factory head units will roll off bass and make other eq adjustments to protect the factory equipment. Things like the JL fix86 are used to correct/flatten the signal before it's sent to the dsp for processing when using the stock HU. The DSP can only work with what it's given.

First and foremost, focus on the install quality. MLV, CCF, and deadener. Decouple door speakers from the door panels, seal any/all holes you can find. Once the install is perfect, move on to the tuning.

So I am going the route I didn't want to and threw more money at it, the guy seems to know his stuff and have a passion for this. Going to get rid of the amp, ad an arc X2 600/4 and arc X2 1100.1. Getting rid of the sub and putting in 2 alpine r 10s. He wants to keep the mosconi 6 to 8 pro for now to play with it a bit in my revamped system. The main addition is a head unit (Sony xav ax 5500) and the rest of the mods are based off my preferences as I explained to him based on the other builds I've heard. Wish me luck!

Just picked it up, sounds like a whole new system... speakers and all. Subs are amazing and aren't even broken in, and it sounds like he actually knew how to tune a DSP to bring the magic back out of any kind of music I listen to. Once the subs break in he is going to have me bring it back and hook me up with multiple tunings for my DSP via Bluetooth chip control.

Hats off to Rainier Audio in Tacoma WA. Money more than happily spent if you're a picky noob like me and won't mess with the expensive stuff yourself!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.