how could i make my crappy box look smooth and shiny?

Yep use it sparingly. If you build it up to thick it will crack on you. Try and spread as thin as you possibbly can and still fill in the cracks ,crevices ,and holes. Sand between progressivly using finer grit. And remember to knock down the rough edges with coarse paper as soon as the bondo starts curing. ( it will feel rubbery to the touch ) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Automotive stores, walmart, KMart, automotive paint stores. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Actually, Bondo is body filler and it's a bit overkill for a box. Plus Bondo tends to get air bubbles that just make more work.

What you want is polyester putty, called glazing compound. The best ones are Evercoat's "Easy Sand" and a product called "Icing". These compounds are like thin watery Bondo. You can spread them easily with a plastic spatula and they sand out like glass. Painters use them for the "final coat" over Bondo and for filling pin holes and stuff.

Auto paint stores carry them, NAPA does too sometimes.

how about good ol' urethane? I saw some workers put it on the roof of a building complex. After drying, it's like rubber, just like undercoating. It's supposed to insulate and waterproof problematic areas. Guess that 'd work, won't it?

Originally posted by paikiah how about good ol' urethane? I saw some workers put it on the roof of a building complex. After drying, it's like rubber, just like undercoating. It's supposed to insulate and waterproof problematic areas. Guess that 'd work, won't it?

It would if you could sand it.

Originally posted by maylar Actually, Bondo is body filler and it's a bit overkill for a box. Plus Bondo tends to get air bubbles that just make more work.

What you want is polyester putty, called glazing compound. The best ones are Evercoat's "Easy Sand" and a product called "Icing". These compounds are like thin watery Bondo. You can spread them easily with a plastic spatula and they sand out like glass. Painters use them for the "final coat" over Bondo and for filling pin holes and stuff.

Auto paint stores carry them, NAPA does too sometimes.

See that's what I hate the internet. I can't see the crap //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif If it's light then the glazing putty or a high build polyester primer would work great. But if it's really rough if could become a hassle using just glazing putty. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.