Gorilla Glue

Participant count
  • Participant list

xcrult

NJ
i'd like to reccomend gorilla glue to anyone who hasn't used it before. traditional wood glues and adhesives definitely have there place, but theres no way i'd use any other glue for making a box.

the gorilla glue reacts with water (normally the humidity in the air) and about 5 minutes after application starts it foaming up, filling any voids in the wood and creating an air-tight seal. the foam fills up any imperfections without having enough force to seperate the joint. its really fantastic stuff, just be warned: if you get it on your hands, you have to live with it there for a week //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif its also a little pricey, $8 a bottle in my area, but keep in mind it eliminates the need for silicone and many screws.

anyone else have experience with this stuff? my dad is a wooden boat builder and swears by it... he told me to try it, and i'm really glad i did.

I've used Excel, another polyurethane based glue like Gorilla. Besides the high price, it also has a crappy shelf life and hardens in the bottle if not used. I used it because it handles oily exotic woods that I use in making pool cues better than yellow glue. But for general purpose box building Titebond II is my choice.

Originally posted by maylar I've used Excel, another polyurethane based glue like Gorilla. Besides the high price, it also has a crappy shelf life and hardens in the bottle if not used. I used it because it handles oily exotic woods that I use in making pool cues better than yellow glue. But for general purpose box building Titebond II is my choice.

You make custom cues ? We might have to talk my man. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Another of my hobbies... I'm just a beginner. If I ever finish my other projects, I gotta go spend some quality time with the lathe..

Originally posted by maylar Another of my hobbies... I'm just a beginner. If I ever finish my other projects, I gotta go spend some quality time with the lathe..

hurry up man we could do business //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif j/k //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

LOL, yeah I get that a lot.

There are some sweet African and South American hardwoods in my basement just waiting to be machined... I wonder how a sub box would sound made out of solid Paduk, Ebony, or Cocobolo?

mmmm... MDF veneered with East Indian Rosewood... or Purple Heart... damm. Maybe I'll start a new fad.

Holy crap that would be one expensive box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.