How can I wire my speakers???

What about trunkfuls of subwoofers? Those are not in the front. I like the idea of my 12" sub basically under my butt! :)
Yeah, I know what you are all talking about about speaker/driver placement and front stage placement. I have this thing called a windshield up from mostly! ;-) Makes cars and trucks kinda hostile environments for the ideal listening system!

John Kuthe...
Sub bass is Omni directional. Meaning you can't tell it's behind you as long as nothing gives it away. Like a rattle or aggressive peak in the response.

If you do it right you can get sub bass to sit on the dash using its upper harmonic cues from the midbass

if you put the 3-ohm speakers and the 2-ohm speakers on the same channel, you end up with an impedance of 1.199 ohm. The equation is : 1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/Rt Someone will correct me if im wrong, but not all amp or head unit support such low impedance, the power will also be split between the 2 speakers since they are going to be on the same channel.... am i right ?
Yep, correct.

John Kuthe...

Yep, correct.
John Kuthe...
Incorrect since OP has decided to run them in series....Did you not learn the difference between series and parallel in Electrical Engineering school?

if you put the 3-ohm speakers and the 2-ohm speakers on the same channel, you end up with an impedance of 1.199 ohm. The equation is : 1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/Rt Someone will correct me if im wrong, but not all amp or head unit support such low impedance, the power will also be split between the 2 speakers since they are going to be on the same channel.... am i right ?
That's only if you wire in parallel. If you wire in series impedance is added together which I'm pretty sure is the OP's plan.

Incorrect since OP has decided to run them in series....Did you not learn the difference between series and parallel in Electrical Engineering school?

That's only if you wire in parallel. If you wire in series impedance is added together which I'm pretty sure is the OP's plan.
I didn't read the text as carefully as I read the math, and I assumed the OP was talking about running the loads in parallel because that's the equation for doing so.

John Kuthe...

yeah i know, i didn't know that wiring 2 speakers with diffrent impedance in series was something conceivable considering the distribution of loads. I'm not an EE but i have studies in HVAC and building automation, so i have basic knowledge in impedance calculation //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

yeah i know, i didn't know that wiring 2 speakers with diffrent impedance in series was something conceivable considering the distribution of loads. I'm not an EE but i have studies in HVAC and building automation, so i have basic knowledge in impedance calculation //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
Of course it's conceivable. It will work, maybe not 100% optimally, but better than NO audio!

Many posters here act like if you don't do it their way, your whole audio system will melt down and emit smoke or something.

John Kuthe...

There is a right and wrong way to do it. You would think a person with your vast education would know that.
It's not black or white, it's a continuum! For every auto audio installation there are several optimal ways of doing everything. Lots of different equipment, lots of different implementation/installation options, some better and some worse.

Just because YOU like what YOU have implemented or had implemented for you does not mean YOUR WAY is the ONLY way!

John Kuthe...

You can wire them in series and you'll see a 5 ohm load. The only problem is that the speakers will not receive the same amount of power, I think it's about a 1.5:1 ratio with the 3ohm speaker receiving most of the power.
OP never asked for opinions on what he should and shouldn't do based on optimal sound quality and or preferences of others. He simply asked if it could be done without hurting his HU.

OP never asked for opinions on what he should and shouldn't do based on optimal sound quality and or preferences of others. He simply asked if it could be done without hurting his HU.
you're right, but forums are meant for this, spread different opinions and facts so the OP can make fully considered decisions. He might change his mind hearing what others have to say, and it's just fine ! When i'm about to do something dumb, i'd like people around me to to guide me in the right direction. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

It's not black or white, it's a continuum! For every auto audio installation there are several optimal ways of doing everything. Lots of different equipment, lots of different implementation/installation options, some better and some worse.
Just because YOU like what YOU have implemented or had implemented for you does not mean YOUR WAY is the ONLY way!

John Kuthe...
Ohms law. You should have heard of it.

Ohms law. You should have heard of it.
Of course I know Ohm's Law. Ever hear of or work with Maxwell's Equations? I have, in my electrical engineering school. Pretty amazing that one can derive everything known about electromagnetism from them too!

John Kuthe...

How are the loads distributed? The same supply voltage and current are seen by both speakers when wired in series.

Of course I know Ohm's Law. Ever hear of or work with Maxwell's Equations? I have, in my electrical engineering school. Pretty amazing that one can derive everything known about electromagnetism from them too!
John Kuthe...
Yet you couldn't trouble shoot an amp running hot?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

CDE219

CDE219
BC, Canada
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
JohnKuthe