How can I wire my speakers???

CDE219

Any help here would be really appreciated, so I have a Sony MEX-XB100BT head unit, I have JBL-GTO 528 speakers in the rear doors, JBL-GTO 928's in the front doors, now these come with 2ohm voice coils, but I also have a pair of JBL-GTO 329's which I want to put in the dash, the trouble is these have a 3 ohm voice coil. so if I was to run the 329's and the 928's off the two front channels at 5 ohms and the rears off the rear channels at 2 ohms could I upset the head unit, im not really wanting to put external amp on for two 3.5" dash speakers.....

if you put the 3-ohm speakers and the 2-ohm speakers on the same channel, you end up with an impedance of 1.199 ohm. The equation is : 1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/Rt

Someone will correct me if im wrong, but not all amp or head unit support such low impedance, the power will also be split between the 2 speakers since they are going to be on the same channel.... am i right ?

Any help here would be really appreciated, so I have a Sony MEX-XB100BT head unit, I have JBL-GTO 528 speakers in the rear doors, JBL-GTO 928's in the front doors, now these come with 2ohm voice coils, but I also have a pair of JBL-GTO 329's which I want to put in the dash, the trouble is these have a 3 ohm voice coil. so if I was to run the 329's and the 928's off the two front channels at 5 ohms and the rears off the rear channels at 2 ohms could I upset the head unit, im not really wanting to put external amp on for two 3.5" dash speakers.....
simple choice, screw the rears and just power the front doors and dash. It'll be 1000x better.

simple choice, screw the rears and just power the front. It'll be 1000x better.
If you do so, i would put one set of your front speakers to the front channels, and the other set you wanna put in the dash on the rear channels, so you have the maximum available power for each speakers...

If you do so, i would put one set of your front speakers to the front channels, and the other set you wanna put in the dash on the rear channels, so you have the maximum available power for each speakers...
not only the maximum power, you can time align it properly and create a very well done and rich sound stage. The rear does nothing to help this.

You can wire them in series and you'll see a 5 ohm load. The only problem is that the speakers will not receive the same amount of power, I think it's about a 1.5:1 ratio with the 3ohm speaker receiving most of the power.

Thanks guys I really appreciate your feed back, seems like I've got a bit of thinking to do, in all honesty...the rears don't seem to be heard much anyway, after all I am in the front lol, and I don't carry a lot of rear seat passengers. I was gonna wire them up the 5 ohm load way, just wasn't sure if running the front channels at 5 ohms and rears at 2 ohms would hurt the head unit, I know it doesnt mind running at 2 ohms, Also the front 6x9s are on the outside of the door card, (I knocked some fibreglass pods up on days off not long back)so they are loud enough, I just think Id like to get that sound a bit higher up, like in the dash....think I'll go and swap some wires around //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif....

yeah i know, i've always hated rear speakers, they just distract you from the front.
The two Bozak 8" aluminum cone speaker with a coaxial tweeter in two enclosures I built to fit perfectly side by side in the luggage compartment of the VW Beetle were angled towards my head from the rear and they sounded fantastic!

And in Baby my 1994 Dodge Caravan I had 6x9s in the rear tailgate and in the driver's and passenger's door and it sounded fantastic! 50W RMS amp on the floor under the driver's seat!

John Kuthe...

The two Bozak 8" aluminum cone speaker with a coaxial tweeter in two enclosures I built to fit perfectly side by side in the luggage compartment of the VW Beetle were angled towards my head from the rear and they sounded fantastic!
And in Baby my 1994 Dodge Caravan I had 6x9s in the rear tailgate and in the driver's and passenger's door and it sounded fantastic! 50W RMS amp on the floor under the driver's seat!

John Kuthe...
No doubt it must sound good but personaly, i would've have simply got them to fit in the front doors ! I just can't stand rear speakers ! I used to run 4 coaxial 6.5" type R on a 4 x 75w rms, 2 in the front and 2 in the rear. I've ditch the two rears after a month and kept only the front, bridged the amp 2 x 150w rms and it was a 100x better than before. When i go to a show, i face the stage, i don't turn my back on it ! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

No doubt it must sound good but personaly, i would've have simply got them to fit in the front doors ! I just can't stand rear speakers ! I used to run 4 coaxial 6.5" type R on a 4 x 75w rms, 2 in the front and 2 in the rear. I've ditch the two rears after a month and kept only the front, bridged the amp 2 x 150w rms and it was a 100x better than before. When i go to a show, i face the stage, i don't turn my back on it ! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
Smart man. I like you.

Smart man. I like you.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/respekt.gif.b162d148236010609fe523122efe3729.gif

Anyway, anywhere you go, every proffessional will tell you that the front is the first place to look up to. I'd rather spend 1500$ on a great front stage than 1500$ on an average all-around one....

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/respekt.gif.b162d148236010609fe523122efe3729.gifAnyway, anywhere you go, every proffessional will tell you that the front is the first place to look up to. I'd rather spend 1500$ on a great front stage than 1500$ on an average all-around one....
You have to say "professional". Those are rare these days.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/respekt.gif.b162d148236010609fe523122efe3729.gifAnyway, anywhere you go, every proffessional will tell you that the front is the first place to look up to. I'd rather spend 1500$ on a great front stage than 1500$ on an average all-around one....
What about trunkfuls of subwoofers? Those are not in the front. I like the idea of my 12" sub basically under my butt! :)

Yeah, I know what you are all talking about about speaker/driver placement and front stage placement. I have this thing called a windshield up from mostly! ;-) Makes cars and trucks kinda hostile environments for the ideal listening system!

John Kuthe...

What about trunkfuls of subwoofers? Those are not in the front. I like the idea of my 12" sub basically under my butt! :)
Yeah, I know what you are all talking about about speaker/driver placement and front stage placement. I have this thing called a windshield up from mostly! ;-) Makes cars and trucks kinda hostile environments for the ideal listening system!

John Kuthe...
Lower frequencies don't suffer from beaming like mids and highs. Once time aligned and tuned properly a sub can blend very well.

Also it sounds like you need a tactile transducer in lieu of a sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

CDE219

CDE219
BC, Canada
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
JohnKuthe