How can I tell if my stock car stereo has an external amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

fukinay

I have a year 2000 BMW 323ci station wagon. The stereo seems very stock to me. It's the "Business CD" version. It's not Harmon Kardon. But there are a total of 10 speakers:

Front: 2 midbass, 2 midrange, and 2 tweeters

Back: 2 midbass (located in the "trunk area", 2 midrange)

I was told by a Best Buy Geek Squad dude over the phone that he's never heard of a stereo with that many speakers running on the head unit's amp. He said it likely has a separate amp they'd have to work around for installation of an after-market head unit. The installation costs if there is no separate amp is FREE, but if they have to work around it, it will be close to $180 (about the price of head units I'm looking at). He said there's no way of telling unless he takes out the head unit to check. They will charge $25 to do this if I decide not to go with the $180 extra installation.

Is there an easier I can tell if there's an amp or not? I bought the car used a few days ago. Thanks.

Call BMW and give them the serial # and they can tell you..But then again..that many speakers..Im sure that the HU has either an internal amp or external amp just under the dash.Spend the $25 to find out or pull it yourself.Anything can happen in 15 years.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.