How big is the ..........

Participant count
  • Participant list

hcivic91
10+ year member

DC
How big is the difference between a legit good 12" like the Sundown SA-12 and the Sundown ZV3-12?

Or between the GCON and the XCON.

Or any of the other makers good and really good stuff.

This is assuming each is properly boxed and powered, how much difference is there between the SPL, usable frequency range, SQ, etc.....

Maybe I wasn't clear in my question. How big is the difference in their performance, not the technical bits.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my question. How big is the difference in their performance, not the technical bits.
You get what you pay for...it's only common sense that going from an sa-12 to a Z or a gcon to an xcon will provide you with extra performance benefits...exactly what those are no one can really tell you for sure because everything is a variable. If you have the power and the budget, get the better stuff.

Of course, it is like anything in life - you get what you pay for. But what am I getting, in terms of performance, when a guy upgrades from and SA-12 to an ZV3-12. That is what I'm trying to understand. Will it actually be louder, how much? Will it be punchier, noticeably? I understand no one can tell me exactly but perhaps someone can offer some color on the differences.

Of course, it is like anything in life - you get what you pay for. But what am I getting, in terms of performance, when a guy upgrades from and SA-12 to an ZV3-12. That is what I'm trying to understand. Will it actually be louder, how much? Will it be punchier, noticeably? I understand no one can tell me exactly but perhaps someone can offer some color on the differences.
It has the potential to take more power = being louder..more then likely better sound quality depending on if its a sql sub or not. maybe better parts used so it may last longer. its just all around a upgrade usually

There is no magic answer to the question. There are too many variables to tell you how much better one sub is or how much louder one is going to be.

Thanks for your opinion guys. I'm not trying to be a Richard, I'm just trying to figure out what is the best upgrade path to take. Upgrade components, add woofers, more power, better box, etc. Its complicated as you guys suggest and I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to be happiest yet. If anyone has more input I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for your opinion guys. I'm not trying to be a Richard, I'm just trying to figure out what is the best upgrade path to take. Upgrade components, add woofers, more power, better box, etc. Its complicated as you guys suggest and I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to be happiest yet. If anyone has more input I'd love to hear it.
Well what are you goals?

I've got a DD2512 running at about 800rms and I've caught the upgrade bug.

I'm looking to increase spl but also increase low range extension.

I've got 1500 watts at 1ohm and upgraded electrical.

I know 2 10s would give me more spl but perhaps not the extension I'm looking for. So that leaves me questioning if upgrading to a mid/top-tier 12" on 1500rms would help me achieve what I want.

whats your budget how much space you got if you got another 12 per say on that much power you wouldnt hear a huge difference i mean like another 12 not adding another 2512

I've got a DD2512 running at about 800rms and I've caught the upgrade bug.I'm looking to increase spl but also increase low range extension.

I've got 1500 watts at 1ohm and upgraded electrical.

I know 2 10s would give me more spl but perhaps not the extension I'm looking for. So that leaves me questioning if upgrading to a mid/top-tier 12" on 1500rms would help me achieve what I want.
So you're saying you don't think 10s can hit low notes? How is it a single 12 can but two 10s can't?

Little bit of flex | Facebook

Two 10s hitting 26 hz like a champ. I'd go with the two 10s over a single 12 imo, really will come down to your enclosure, not so much the sub.

Space is more of a concern than budget. I cant get much more than 3 cubes + port back there. I've currently got 2.2cubes ported and I'm pretty fond of that size. 6 inches bigger would get me to 3 cubes total. The more I read the more I know it is about box but I'm not sure how different 2 10s on 1500rms would sound than my 12 on 800 does now.

Space is more of a concern than budget. I cant get much more than 3 cubes + port back there. I've currently got 2.2cubes ported and I'm pretty fond of that size. 6 inches bigger would get me to 3 cubes total. The more I read the more I know it is about box but I'm not sure how different 2 10s on 1500rms would sound than my 12 on 800 does now.
Well you're doubling the power and adding more cone area, should be a noticeable difference. Its hard to say thought because I don't know how good your current box is or how well the box for your new subs will be.

But for the most part you should definitely see a gain in output, but low end extension will come down to box design/tuning.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.