Household help

drpain714
10+ year member

what up guys,

so i had this idea of designing a system to put in a room. yes i may be a total dumbass but i think it is possible. so first i need to know of any kinds of converters that will replicate a 12v car battery(110vac-12vdc). second, must i use a remote lead for the amp since i have no idea how i will get a remote turn-on lead coming from inside the room. any other precautions will help. thanks so MUCH.

on the amp just take a small piece of wire and run it to the remote terminal on the amp to the positive terminal on the amp
wait so i take any gauge wire and run connect it between the + of the amp and the REMOTE terminal of the amp? what will that do? thanks for the quick reply

wait so i take any gauge wire and run connect it between the + of the amp and the REMOTE terminal of the amp? what will that do? thanks for the quick reply
yes any guage will work but i say around 14-16ga it will act as a remote turn on lead and allow your amp to work

on the amp just take a small piece of wire and run it to the remote terminal on the amp to the positive terminal on the amp

are you positive that works? That could help me out in what im trying to do alot.

well heres the thing i jus found out a cheap way to do it... using ur computer power supply. if u think about it its perfect. using ur existing or a new ps make sure it supplies enough amps to power ur amp. (P=voltsxamps) e.g if ur amp is 200 watts, u need to have atleast 17 amps to run if not more to be safe. thanks for all the help tho!

well heres the thing i jus found out a cheap way to do it... using ur computer power supply. if u think about it its perfect. using ur existing or a new ps make sure it supplies enough amps to power ur amp. (P=voltsxamps) e.g if ur amp is 200 watts, u need to have atleast 17 amps to run if not more to be safe. thanks for all the help tho!

Can you explain to me how to use a computer power supply.

For what it will cost to complete this project, it's pointless, unless you know a dj or electronics store (best buy, circuit city, tweeter, etc...) giving away old equipment (power convertors), not to mention the amount of space it will take up (amp, and convertor mounting) plus the mass of wires. Imaging/soundstaging will be a time consuming task as well (cutting holes in walls, creating enclosures for all speakers). Just get a home surround system for $300. Save yourself a headache, if it's not loud enough spend $1000, it will cost far less than all the aspirin. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

The +12 volt section of a PC power supply is only 8 amps or so max.
If you use every +12v wire on the power supply, you would still be getting +12v, but you would increase the amperage for every wire. If you have to, you can run two or three power supplies together.... but it really does take a lot of time and effort. Most of the time its better left undone. You can go to a flea market and find all your home audio stuff. I got my reciever, amp, and cd changer for $120. They are all JVC stuff. I made my own speaker enclosures and such, but they had some REALLY nice Pioneer enclosures for only $75 a pair. Just check it out. If you just have a spare amp that you're going to use or something, sell it for the money. Its a lot easier that way

If you use every +12v wire on the power supply, you would still be getting +12v, but you would increase the amperage for every wire. ...
Nope. All those wires go to the same 8-10 amp max circuit inside. That's all you can get.

ok well i agree putting car audio components in your house will not be easy. however, for those who continue to persue that goal, a computer ps will be enough. and no not all ps will work, in fact, most will not. my current cpu ps only supports 12amperes(which is 12ax12v=144watts). newegg sells a POWMAX 400W Power Supply for Intel and AMD systems Model LP6100D Retail and the 12+volt is rated at 25amperes, enough to run a 300w amp. the ps is also fairly inexpensive at 35+s&h. now how long the ps will last i have no idea, since cpu ps's are obviously used for...cpus. so i hope that clears out some more problems regarding this issue.

You can run car audio stuff in your room, ive done it. I had an old car battery that needed to be charged, so i bought a charger for the battery (30). I ran the wires from the amp(collecting dust i nthe garage) to the battery, did the remote like slipknot suggested. what made it easy for me though, is that i already have a 5.1 surrond sound system, i was just trying to add another woofer to it. Running rcas from it was a cake walk. (doesnt that make it a 5.2 system?)

You could also look at rat shack. I use a 12v power supply for recharging RC car batteries. I bought a 40amp 11.5v-14v power supply for $55. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.