Hoping this question finds a pro stereo installer.

Participant count
  • Participant list

slicey
10+ year member

I figure a pro installer would know whether or not the already existing USB/3.5 analogue inputs found inside the glove box on my parents car(2012 Buick Enclave), BEFORE they had the dealer outsource the vehicle to a car audio shop, in order to replace the non-nav unit with a factory OEM navigation HU, could simply be plugged into the back of the new nav HU.

They now have a factory supplied OEM NAV unit installed that wasn't originally installed into the SUV when it was built. I tried using the 3.5mm analogue input with my Mp3 player(not an Apple), to no avail.

This leaves me wondering whether or not the aftermarket installer could have failed to connect the USB/3.5 input cable to the rear of the new nav HU.

Or perhaps(this is why I thought a pro installer would probably know the answer) the audio inputs are automatically included inside the glove box at the factory, but that this particular VIN wasn't built with a high enough options package to include an audio HU with a rear jack to accept a connection from the AUX audio input cable(s)?

All I know is I want it working, since I borrow it occasionally to go on long trips. I don't want to risk scratching any trim trying to get it out to see if there is a rear, AUX input or not.

I thought, perhaps someone who is a current installer might know the answer.

thanks for reading

this could be bcm programming since all newer vehicles run everything through the canbus data, they proably didnt either A. program it, or B. that particlualr jack doesnt work with it.

a lot of times manufactures use non-standard plugs on the back of the factory stuff. and the plug that went to that did not match the nav unit. the fix would be to figure out where and how to get it actually connected.

the canbus is a possibility but most stock systems have all the options enabled in canbus and its just a matter of making the connectors work. all the stock upgrades i have done have been this way. now, if you can find an actuall audio shop willing to rewire a stock connector, that will be the amazing part.

definitely a possibility. especially if its a product of one of the big 3. MMCS units do end up in some of the 'american' vehicles though and they work totally different. so there is 2 things that could be wrong and a possibility that both are wrong.

Thanks, everyone-you guys are awesome! I have no problem doing a complete custom audio install in my older, own car, using aftermarket gear, but I know nothing about new, factory audio system wiring. canbus, programming............never heard of this stuff. lol

I didn't expect answers like these. So, here's another issue with the same unit that, perhaps you guys can enlightenment me with some more unexpected answers.

My parents had this NAV unit installed via an independent car audio shop before leaving the lot with their new car. They live 75 miles North of Phoenix, and like to listen to just one local radio station on the AM dial. All other content, they listen to on the FM band with no issues, there. Here's their problem-they sometimes get, what I can only best describe as the kind of sound you would start hearing as you begin moving further away from an AM radio station's broadcast antenna.

However, the problem I've described isn't happening because of increasing distance from the station's antenna. It happens sporadically, right here in their town. The station's antenna is

My thoughts are that, this unit just doesn't stay locked onto this AM channel very well, at times? Pa tells me he and Ma have owned many vehicles, which never had this issue with this channel. I'm guessing there are other AM channels that can be tuned in to, in this little town, but it's only this one AM channel they listen to. Therefor, I can not tell you if this issue occurs with other AM channels in the area.

Thanks again

a 'tech2' is a handheld computer with special interface software for pulling and in some cases making changes to the ECM/ECU and other onboard hardware in a car. only a dealer and or a few VERY advanced specialty shops can do this stuff. this is a lot more involved then going to NAPA and having them read your codes with a 59$ code scanner. yes, it uses the OBD2 port.

sounds like the A.M. antenna may not be built into the regular antenna like on the old unit. so now you have no A.M. antenna and they are having signal loss issues.

a 'tech2' is a handheld computer with special interface software for pulling and in some cases making changes to the ECM/ECU and other onboard hardware in a car. only a dealer and or a few VERY advanced specialty shops can do this stuff. this is a lot more involved then going to NAPA and having them read your codes with a 59$ code scanner. yes, it uses the OBD2 port.
sounds like the A.M. antenna may not be built into the regular antenna like on the old unit. so now you have no A.M. antenna and they are having signal loss issues.
Do you think that, being the 3rd vehicle my parents have bought from this dealer, they should have reprogrammed the new NAV unit to work with the AUX audio inputs in the glove box, after getting the car back from the audio shop? Or, should they have to pay to have this functionality restored?

as far as im thinking your parents opted not to have that becuase of configuration. It might not be plugged in, do some digging to see if its hooked up orif they left it open

do NOT be loyal to a dealer, all it means is that you will get screwed regularly. (ive worked for several auto-dealers and parts stores, i can guarantee this) as for what they do or should provide, good luck, what normally works best is ask nicely and be consistent and continuous. call them every other day, forever, until they do something that addresses the issue and is acceptable to you. do NOT yell, or threaten, and do not give up.

as far as im thinking your parents opted not to have that becuase of configuration. It might not be plugged in, do some digging to see if its hooked up orif they left it open
or they didn't know it was their, or what it was for, so they were 'talked out of it' because it was cheaper for the dealer to have it installed that way.

This might be easier to fix than the thread is describing. USB is an analog connection, and you might be able to get an adapter to plug into the back of the factory USB jack. Metra offers these for a number of vehicles. Plug in the adapter, plug in your head unit's USB input to that adapter, and you're good to go.

Eventually, i will have to go out into the cold and crawl under the dash, but I can tell you, the Ps wouldn't/didn't know anything about the fact that there are AUX inputs in the glove box. I just feel, that, assuming the plug(s) for the AUX cable was the same, that the audio shop would have connected them, then communicated to the dealership, to program the NAV unit to "see" the AUX input, if the audio shop couldn't do the programming, themselves.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.