holding a box together

violator5spd
10+ year member

Post Wh0re Hunter
Ohio
i'm going to build a sealed box for my re se's in a week or 2, it should be about 4cu.ft with a divider in the center for added stability. i'll be using a jbl 600.1 running at 1ohm. my question is keeping the box together...would liquid nails & 2inch wood screw every 6in or so be enough? last thing i wanna do is blow the box a little loose. my friends dad was talking about mounting small blocks on the inside to screw into from the outside, but i dont really wanna have to do that unless it's necessary to keep my box together. i dont think it's needed with only 600w, but correct me if i'm wrong cuz i dont' wanna be wrong later...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

thanks

liquide nails is fine...but wood glue works well to and its a bit less messy. Dont use 2 inch screws, that just increases your changes of spliting the wood and requires long pilot holes....use 1.5 inch cource threaded drywall screws.

Originally posted by violator5spd should my pilot holes be the whole length of the screws?
dont stress out about that...but yeah they should be as deep as the screw is going to go in....so if your using 1.5" and 3/4" mdf they should be drilled about 3/4" in....but like i said dont make a big deal out of drilling them.

i usually use woodglue not liguid nails and drywall screws that are 1 5/8 they work pretty good and the only drilling i do is on the faces with screws and i just use a countersink bit so the heads of the screws are totally in the wood and not stickin out at all and then on the inside of the box i use caulk or silicone to seal it up real good

i countersink as well, but only for appearence when i vinal or carpet it. Clear through the first peice, pilot the second...thats the best way to do it, dont do it any other way...end of story.

I have built countless boxes with 2" drywall screws with liquid nails. I started out using wood glue but found that liquid nails ( or sub floor adhesive) works better. The wood glue is great for grained wood. Using MDF does not have many pores for the wood glue to bond to. Also the wood glue is very stiff and cures very hard. With liquid nails it bonds, and seals at the same time. With the intense stress of SPL In a box you want all the bond you can get. Adding some bracing in boxes over 4 cu ft is always a good idea. I always over build each box.

As far as using 2" screws You won't have to worry about cracking the mdf if you counter sink and use a bit (like a #6) to pre drill. Then use a #6 screws. You can make sure by holding the bit next the screw. You should have a bit just small enough to see just the threads of the screw.

For really high spl boxes, I have found that using a threaded Rod in the the middle helps keep the flex down with out giving up to much airspace.

just wondering, would putting a few layers of fiberglass inside the back of the box have any effect on the sound? my dads friend mentioned it but it didnt make any sense to me...?

Originally posted by violator5spd just wondering, would putting a few layers of fiberglass inside the back of the box have any effect on the sound? my dads friend mentioned it but it didnt make any sense to me...?
MDF by nature, is porous...thereofre, some people prefer to seal it 100%...hence, the fiberglass...

but a lot of people don't use it... maybe ahrdcore box builders, for their own boxes.. I certainly didn't, just left it as it was, and it's not too bad...

check out my member gallery pics, you'll see what I mean...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.