hideaway amp mounting??? no more trunk left...

Participant count
  • Participant list

graffix989
10+ year member

ok so i built a huge box for my subs. now ive got no room for the amp. i cant even mount it in there staning on its side without being to close to the subs... btw ive got a 92 cavi, an a vibe268 amp. its about 2. sumthin ft long. i do have a hide away spare tire compartment. would it be ok to mount the amp under there? ventalation? id like to acualy get it out of the trunk entirely. cuz ive heard that mounting ur amp to the sub box can break the cap legs or other components off. im thinkin that mounting it anywhere near it would have the same affect. cuz my lid rattles so much that it sounds like its gonna fly away. my whole car does realy. my rear veiw mirror fell off if that gives u a good idea. id like to mount it to the back of my passengers side seat. but then its realy noticable from the outside. an everythings gotta be real hiddin, i live in a bad neighbor hood... any ideas? i dont think itll fit under the seat... how bout under the dash?? would it be ok to run speaker wire that far? thats about 10-12ft to my trunk....

it will be fine to mount it in the spare tire compartment, as long as the amp is fan cooled or get some relays and wire up a little fan so it get air

Rear seat.. -->

Tint windows or just do what I did and throw a jacket over the amp when I went somewhere.

If you go to the tire compartment see how it runs, if its hot get some fans.. End of Story.

i got a 94 cavi. just fold down th seat, and screw it into the seat back. easy to hide the wires under the little velcro carpet flap (cut some tiny holes in it to snake the wires thru)

quite simple, very easy, and looks great. since the seats are slanted, there is room there for ya to mount it (im sure) and you will be folding your seats (trust me) for the improved bass response.

if its too long to mount it to one of the seats, get a .5" thick MDF slab that the amp can fit on, and screw that down to eaith folding seat (with a bunch of screws - make sure both seats are down when ya do it.) and then screw the amp to the board. the board should overhang the other seat a bit, thats OK. now you can fold up the seat that the amp is on, and have room for passangers and still keep one side of the rear seat area open for bass (i liked that)

that should get the trick done.

its a 92, back seat doesnt fold down... but i did like that jacket idea to cover it mounted on the front seat..

an even if there was room to put it behind the back seat, i cant get to it now cuz my box is seriously not gonna come out of my trunk unless i bust open the top... dried wood glue, too much of a pain. but um, im worried about a loss when i run the speaker wire from inside the cab to the trunk. even from the front seat it would be about 8-10 ft of wire. im using 12gu.. what would i have to upgrade to, to get rid of my worries?? 8awg? is it even worth worring about? im pushing about 400-500watts through each set of wire.. 2 chan Vibe268 amp...

ive been told by many many people that most of the amps that get repaired are broken cap legs, an 9 out of 10 of them are mounted to the box. personaly, i think, specialy with anything over 1500watts rms it wont matter.. if its anywhere near the box itll still vibrate like crazy. im moving mine up to the mid section of the car to get it out of the trunk entirely. unless u mount it on some kinda anti-vibration foam or sumthin thatll absorb the violent shaking, ur still in potiental danger. i work at an electronic manufacturing plant, making radar guns. alot of the same kinds of components. solder joints should hold up to 400-500 pounds of pressure before they break. but thats at a much lower temp then amps run. the hotter it gets the more flexable it gets. common solder guns are at around 600-800 degrees F' . so i imagine its bendable at half that... also, magnetic feilds are harmfull to IC chips. dunno if amps got alot of complex ones, but i do know it will erase flash chips an make DSP's very unpredicable. in case u dont know, flash is like the Hard Drive of almost all electronics. an the DSP is much like a processor, only its driven by an external source (ie; clock) enginers will cut corners too, an be most cost effective as possible. sometimes over looking the fact that pll might be putting these amps through that much abuse... hope that helps, all that is just from my exp tho. ive been in electronic manufacturing for 5-6 years now, an ive been in college for just over 2. im far from an exspert, but i deal with this stuff daily. so dont jump down my throat if anyone thinks otherwise, thats just my 2 cents. peace

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.