HID problems

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
Not too long ago I installed some HID's in my s10 p/u. Recently, sometimes the drivers side would not come on. So I would flick my hi-beams once or twice then those ones would come on. Problem is getting worse. I just fiddled with the wiring to see if maybe there was a bad connection somewhere or something wasn't tight. Found that the red wire was what I thought the issue, tried a few things seemed to have worked and now won't work at all. What can I do?

tc300

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Mar 28, 2007
springfield,ill
go with a better wiring harness.. what brand you using also??

just fixed a similar problem in my grand prix tonight by swapping in better quality bulbs...

the727kid

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Jul 20, 2006
St. Pete, FL
HIDs are one area where without a doubt you get what you pay for. I wouldn't expect a $30 set to work well.

OP
Boomin_tahoe

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
Why did you bother commenting if you have nothing to say to help out?

Funny, I bought a set for my Tahoe also......no issues at all and......cost about the same.

You lack the fact that if anything is bought new, it's not always a guarantee it will work. Which is why companies offer warranties. It could be a soldering problem inside the ballast for all I know.

Gonna try and swap ballasts tomorrow.

Massive spl

Banned
Jun 27, 2015
Michigan
30 bucks vs. 40 bucks? Not much in dollar difference.
Any ideas for me?
You see how the ones I posted have that second little box before you plug the lights in.... There different from what you bought... I had the ones you bought and nothing but problems... I took them out my truck and my wife car... Then I bought the ones I linked you and no problems since.

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
Jan 22, 2010
Florida
**** *** plug and play HIDS.. Do a proper projector retrofit or stick to halogen bulbs... Your heqdlights were not made for hids. The focal points are different. You will get nothing but glare and foreground lighting..

the727kid

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Jul 20, 2006
St. Pete, FL
if your gonna change them out go with LED. they are by far superior.
According to what? First hand reviews from people have proven HIDs have a significant advantage in output. In life hours and reliable they may be superior.

And to the OP: Buying cheap ballasts is like buying a cheap amp. You don't run Pyle amps do you?

Papermaker85

Banned
Dec 15, 2006
New orleans LA
According to what? First hand reviews from people have proven HIDs have a significant advantage in output. In life hours and reliable they may be superior.
And to the OP: Buying cheap ballasts is like buying a cheap amp. You don't run Pyle amps do you?
Led is going to last much longer.

Papermaker85

Banned
Dec 15, 2006
New orleans LA
Tinted reflector lenses AND 10,000K blue bulbs.. Huge fail..

Wrong. LED is not quite there yet. Hids are much better at this current time.
Ive installed LED industrially. far superior in terms of longevity. its muilt LEDs and yes they are stuip brigth and draw a fraction of current. metal halides are ****** but they get way to hot and draw alot of current and cost ALOT! you cant touch the bulbs because they can explode of they get cross contaminated..

i GOOD LED bulb may not be available for most car but the newer LEDs that are becoming available to the public will be better.. of course they are going to cost..

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
Jan 22, 2010
Florida
Ive installed LED industrially. far superior in terms of longevity. its muilt LEDs and yes they are stuip brigth and draw a fraction of current. metal halides are ****** but they get way to hot and draw alot of current and cost ALOT! you cant touch the bulbs because they can explode of they get cross contaminated..
i GOOD LED bulb may not be available for most car but the newer LEDs that are becoming available to the public will be better.. of course they are going to cost..
I build custom projector headlights on the side. LEDs are not quite there yet in terms of headlights.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds