Hid Headlights

cbuts
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
just bought me a hid kit helios 8k, just wondering what if anything else should i do to my headlights, the bulb beside the headlight im guessing is the highbeam(lol) should i get a new bulb for that aswell to match? i was thinking fog lights in the grill too, i seen this and liked it

IMG_0628_zps2361b4f6.jpg

my car:

jvudQSopGXzo2MFBHtcP42lnfa_Pa-_V3h9RB4ilZ_k

waiting for my hids in the mail

any ideas suggestions is greatly appreciated.

You need another HID kit to do the high beams. Depending on how it performs with the low beam kit you might want to leave them alone. I drive on dark 2-lane roads and I only have my low beams upgraded with a 5K HID kit by RaceSport.

HIDs in most reflector style headlights, like yours, will most likely create a terrible glare and a hazard for oncoming drivers.

Projector headlights are the ones that are usually more accepting of HIDs.

HIDs in most reflector style headlights, like yours, will most likely create a terrible glare and a hazard for oncoming drivers.
Projector headlights are the ones that are usually more accepting of HIDs.
I tried explaining this in his last thread that everyone told him HIDs would fix his dimming headlights..... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

I retrofitted my truck 3 years ago and my car 1.5 years ago.

Don't do HID's in the highbeams.... The constant cycling "turning them on and off for oncoming traffic" really cut's down the life and lumen output of a Xenon bulb.

Like the other guys have mentioned it's already going to glare and mess with other drivers because your mounting them in a non project headlight housing with no cut off that's not designed to house or reflect a Xenon bulb properly.

As for the fogs. Get a 35W HID kit for those too.

You can also use a xenon match type standard bulb in the fogs and high beams to better match the color temp of you HID lows.

I like Hoen

Hoen

it might be hard a little harder to find one that's 8000K......6000K is alot more common. I run 6000K in my cars.

Here is my x with Upgraded 12W 6000K LED Angel Eye's and Matching 6000K HID fogs. My lows are 6000K as well.

AfterSwapandCornersOff_zps5bfa46b2.jpg

Don't do HID's in the highbeams.... The constant cycling "turning them on and off for oncoming traffic" really cut's down the life and lumen output of a Xenon bulb.
Like the other guys have mentioned it's already going to glare and mess with other drivers because your mounting them in a non project headlight housing with no cut off that's not designed to house or reflect a Xenon bulb properly.

As for the fogs. Get a 35W HID kit for those too.

You can also use a xenon match type standard bulb in the fogs and high beams to better match the color temp of you HID lows.

I like Hoen

Hoen

it might be hard a little harder to find one that's 8000K......6000K is alot more common. I run 6000K in my cars.

Here is my x with Upgraded 12W 6000K LED Angel Eye's and Matching 6000K HID fogs. My lows are 6000K as well.

AfterSwapandCornersOff_zps5bfa46b2.jpg
Hi, thanks for the reply, im willing to upgrade my headlight housing if thatll make the helio 8k hid set go with my car better, ive wanted something more neater/a little ting anyways.. is the kit i bought a decent kit? can i get some sympathy here! lol

also how much would it cost to just replace the bulb froma 8k to a 6k if i didnt like it? would i have to buy a whole new kit?

could i get some suggestions on this as i know nothing lol

Hi, thanks for the reply, im willing to upgrade my headlight housing if thatll make the helio 8k hid set go with my car better, ive wanted something more neater/a little ting anyways.. is the kit i bought a decent kit? can i get some sympathy here! lolalso how much would it cost to just replace the bulb froma 8k to a 6k if i didnt like it? would i have to buy a whole new kit?

could i get some suggestions on this as i know nothing lol
I have never had experience with that kit so I cant say but it should work fine for ya.

What do you drive? You should be able to find an aftermarket headlight housing on ebay for it that has a projector.

And yes you can swap for another color bulb anytime no need to buy another kit.

DDM sells bulbs for 15.oo a pair.

The lower the color temp the more usable light for seeing the road. The 8000K + stuff looks very blue/pink and can decrease the amount of usable perceived light on the road. I like the 6K temp because it looks cripsy and clean with just the slight blue tint.

I have never had experience with that kit so I cant say but it should work fine for ya.
What do you drive? You should be able to find an aftermarket headlight housing on ebay for it that has a projector.

And yes you can swap for another color bulb anytime no need to buy another kit.

DDM sells bulbs for 15.oo a pair.

The lower the color temp the more usable light for seeing the road. The 8000K + stuff looks very blue/pink and can decrease the amount of usable perceived light on the road. I like the 6K temp because it looks cripsy and clean with just the slight blue tint.
my car is the red one at the top of the topic, an 06 chevrolet malibu.

im just afraid i should have chosen 6k instead of 8k and its already coming in the mail, and at the same time i didnt really want it to be blue blue, the way u described it is how i would like it, could you link me to a bulb i could buy and use with my kit? what do different ballasts do anyways.

would this be good headlight housing replacements?

04 08 Chevy Malibu LT LS LTS Replacement Head Lights Lamps Black Housings Pairs | eBay

thanks for replying and hopefully you can answer all my questions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Here is a link to the bulbs. All of the Chinese product I've seen has the same plugs so it should be plug and play

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HID-Bulb-Replacements-Pair

Select the size and color you want. And they will be at your door in about two weeks. "China"

A ballast is just an electrical component that powers the bulb. The Xenon gas in an HID bulb requires a ballast to fire the bulb. The ballast contains circuitry and an igniter that will turn the 12V coming from you stock headlight plug into 35 or 55 watts of power that can burn that bulb nice and bright.

I'll take a look around and see if I can find a projector housing for your 06'

That one you linked doesn't look like it has a projector.

Here is a link to the bulbs. All of the Chinese product I've seen has the same plugs so it should be plug and play
Replacement HID Bulbs, Pair

Select the size and color you want. And they will be at your door in about two weeks. "China"

A ballast is just an electrical component that powers the bulb. The Xenon gas in an HID bulb requires a ballast to fire the bulb. The ballast contains circuitry and an igniter that will turn the 12V coming from you stock headlight plug into 35 or 55 watts of power that can burn that bulb nice and bright.

what are the differences between the bulb types i dont know which to choose, also do you think 8k would be okay or should i really get 6k?

thanks for your time

Replacement HID Bulbs, Pair

what are the differences between the bulb types i dont know which to choose, also do you think 8k would be okay or should i really get 6k?

thanks for your time

p.s what about these? would they be better?

HID Xenon Replacement Bulb H11 5000K 6000K 8000K 10000 | eBay

3000 is deep yellow. (Good for cutting threw fog)

4300 is oem. Brightest you can get

5000 is pure white.

6000 is white with some blue

8000 is blue

10000 is deep blue

12000 is purple

Almost all eBay projector lights are designed for halogen bulbs and have odd cutoffs with hids.

Do a morimoto mh1 projector retrofit. You have have a great output and simple install.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.