"Hi-Fi" or "PA Style"

"Hi-Fi" or "PA" speakers

• Hi-Fi Components

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • PA Components

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
You will not get low end midbass extension with mid to low priced PA style drivers, at any volume, it's not a function they are designed for. That is why you'll see them listed as mids, not mid-bass or mid-woofers, they are not designed for that purpose. Even large 8's usually still have a 200-10000 range, just their niche. Loud and proud, screw the SQ if you will. Now Stevens, they make some very loud hi-end drivers that accomplish both. It's not that they distort either, they just don't reproduce music without totally coloring the sound. They are primarily focused on vocal ranges, thus their primary use in Public Address systems. I've heard some decent JBL titanium compression dome tweeters, that cost about $550 each, but they are an exception and would be brutal in a car.
I ran compression drivers, they don't have to be brutal, but they do require powerful stereo equalization.

On another note, you can actually get them marketed as ES-1200isf tweeters from woofersetc. I got a pair and they come in the box with the label indicating they are actually ES-1200is tweeters. A real bargain at $110

Last edited:
These are pretty impressive wideband drivers, would pair well with a high efficiency 8" But at $750 each, a little steep!

I was hired to build a set of stage monitors using those wide-bands with some 10" drivers too, they were killer!

Their band *****, more money than talent, but their monitors sounded great! :)

Last edited:
I'll stick with drivers designed for car audio environments with the occasional home audio midbass or tweeter thrown in

My install is stereo integrity tm65mkiv, m3 carbons, and DD a series ceramic dome tweeters.

ATM I don't have the m3 midranges installed but the dd ceramic domes are quite flat from 2500-20khz the tm65mkiv are playing 60-2500hz and they do fine but I still have a null at 500hz and one a little higher at 1200hz which will be covered by the m3 running 400-3khz

This way I can divide each frequency range to the driver best suited for it based on the drivers response in vehicle.

Subs play 20-60hz
Front sub is 60-120hz
Midbass 60-400hz
Midrange 400-3k
Tweeters 3k-20k

My system isn't designed for all our spl and loudness though normal listening is only 115-120db with the bass end 20-150 about 12db higher
How do those compare to other ones you've had? I have an SQL12 I bought when they dropped the price, but I just cannot bring my self around to spending a few hundred on a set of woofers

How do those compare to other ones you've had? I have an SQL12 I bought when they dropped the price, but I just cannot bring my self around to spending a few hundred on a set of woofers
The tm65mkiv perform very well for my purpose. I had Memphis viv 6.5s in the door before and they performed well but they were 2ohm midbass drivers so they had double the power than the tm65mkiv. The silverflute 6.5s were nice as well but didn't like being crossed very high.

The tm65mkiv are bottom heavy midbass drivers which I like and they are rather efficient compared to the Memphis mids.

The Memphis viv tweeters were nice but I had a lead that cam loose due to a solder joint failure. Replaced them with stereo integrity m25 MK2 and the stereo integrity tweeters were plenty nice if not maybe a bit too laid back. But my negligence had me accidentally send midbass signal to the tweeter during a tuning session and I burn one of the tweeters. Thus why I run a protection cap inline now. Now the dd a series ceramics were kinda a surprise. They are nice and bright but aren't harsh like I expected them to be. The older Memphis m class magnesium domes were similar but would breakup when pushed hard.

I think you should use whatever driver combo that benefits your situation the best.
Right now I'm running a complete freak show. Check this...
Dayton 7" planars in the A pillars.
6" sealed back Eminence in the kicks.
10" midbass from SB Acoustics in the doors.
2 18" Peavey Black Widows infinite baffle
It should not sound as good as it does. I have preferences on both sides. Pro/HiFi I have had traditional 2/3 way setups and built a horn car with 12" midbass. I loved both. They each have advantages and drawbacks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...