Hi all, new here, but not a noobe, Bluetooth tech issue beyond me....

Spring Grover

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi, and thanks for reading. I been building systems in cars since the early 80's. Witnessed the start of Alpine. Fosgate, Crutchfield, Car Audio magazine. Submitted my `93 MR2 to CAM back in the day but was denied due to a firewall grommet technicality. Built some really awesome systems well before people were listening to anything more than the factory am/fm. Before subs were 6x9"s, Jensen triax's. If that weren't good enough, find an old Pioneer house speaker, delete the high end, throw in the trunk and you had a subwoofer. If the trunk was big enough, slide a beer cooler under one of the 6x9 which you didn't screw down..back seat bartender.
With all that behind me, I'm restoring a `66 Toyota FJ40, that I've owned for years. This is a tricky vehicle to install a system in, all steel, not much room. I'm installing in it, a Kenwood KAC M18S4BT amp, 4 channel x 50 with rca output to 4 KEPF HTS 7001 home (yes home, 8 ohm) satellite speakers on all 4 corners. Due to size constraints, these little guys are perfect and sound amazing. With the rca out's, I'll also run an old Alpine 3503 to power 2 planar tweets mounted in the roll cage bar pad, reflecting off the windshield, through an attenuator to control the level. Both amps mounted within the the heater duct to conceal, not to mention, no where to put them. Also from the rca out, going to a reoil SL1708 sub I managed to squeek under the seat. Whole system very discreet but should sound amazing in an open air platform (think Jeep).
Getting to my question here, FINALLY. Tech I'm not current on. The Kenwood bt amp has a wired remote that I mounted on the stick shifter. I'm looking for a way to wirelessly control the Kenwood Bluetooth amp, from a wireless controller I can mount on the stick, from my phone that mounts on the dash? Bluetooth from phone to controller to amp, wirelessly. Is this possible? Not sure how this forum works, but I'm starting here. Looking for solutions, hoping someone can send me in the right direction or say definitively yes or no, again this tech, out of my realm. If you need assistance on configuring an old school power 650, I'm your guy. Wireless Bluetooth, not so much. My current system, Not so fancy double din Kenwood cd/dvd head unit 50 x 4 powering four 4x6" Quart's in my 2000 f250. Subs, 3 x 10 JL 10w6 (made in USA), first gen Punch 75, rattle's the wiper blades.
Thanks for reading, was fun to write actually. Look forward to hearing from you.
Best
M

metalheadjoe

Unapologetic prick
10+ year member
ND
What's your question? I want to help, but I'm not willing to read a book to do so.

OP
S

Spring Grover

CarAudio.com Newbie
Fair enough. Current Bluetooth controller on a stick shift controlling a bt amp, from the phone. it's wired, down the stick to the amp. QUESTION. Is there a product, wireless bt controller, I can mount on the stick, to go from phone to amp? I don't think so, but does this tech exist?

Reactions: metalheadjoe

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Central Maine
Fair enough. Current Bluetooth controller on a stick shift controlling a bt amp, from the phone. it's wired, down the stick to the amp. QUESTION. Is there a product, wireless bt controller, I can mount on the stick, to go from phone to amp? I don't think so, but does this tech exist?
I didn't mind reading your long intro. I'm an old timer too but got pretty well spoiled by head units with remote controls. I remember when they first came out I was like "what, are people too lazy to reach up to the dash to click volume/track select?" Then after using one you realize after you get muscle memory of the control layout you never have to take your eyes off the road to switch tracks/discs/folders/volume/mute/etc. etc. Last year I bought the Alpine Halo head unit for my Jeep and while it's a beautiful unit I sorely miss an option for a remote.

That said, I have seen people doing bluetooth control in restorations or serious custom builds and they usually either build a tablet right into the dash or build a bracket or something to hold their tablet somewhere for easy access to act as display/control for the audio. There have been at least 2 head units I know of that have phone cradle built in with the intent that you use your phone for everything including display. Both I've used I've really liked. I mean we pay as much as 1300$ for a fancy microcomputer with a high res screen that holds music, why pay for another 5" screen on your head unit?

Anyway, if you ordered from Crutchfield in the past, I can tell you they haven't changed at all, they're still a bit on the expensive side but they are very good for customer service and the people there really know their stuff. You might consider just giving them a call. If your current amp has a method to do what you're after they'd probably know how and if you just need to buy some other add on, accessory, or third party dongle to get you there they could probably offer to sell (and support) a solution to you.

Good luck, post up pics in a build log whenever you're done. Also, your Punch 75 is probably in it's twilight years. Electrolytic caps are typically good for about 20 years so that amp would probably need a major overhaul at some point if you wanted to keep it going for nostalgia.

OP
S

Spring Grover

CarAudio.com Newbie
Your amp is supposed to come with the bluetooth module. You link your phone with this module and it controls the playlist. Every BT device I have used can be controlled via source unit. In other words, no need to use the module's buttons for playback. I do not see why this one would be different.
You're right about that statement, and more than likely I can control the amp straight from the phone. I had a different system in this vehicle being run from the headphone jack on the phone which mounts on the dash. I found that driving an open air vehicle, no power steering, no power brakes, while scrolling through the phone looking for a song wasn't working, the truck was all over the road. Pretty much all hands on deck driving it. The wired remote on the stick works perfectly, keep eyes on the road. I'm just trying to eliminate the wire as there's no good way to conceal it. If it has to stay so be, just thought I would reach out. Your input appreciated

OP
S

Spring Grover

CarAudio.com Newbie
Anyway, if you ordered from Crutchfield in the past, I can tell you they haven't changed at all, they're still a bit on the expensive side but they are very good for customer service and the people there really know their stuff. You might consider just giving them a call. If your current amp has a method to do what you're after they'd probably know how and if you just need to buy some other add on, accessory, or third party dongle to get you there they could probably offer to sell (and support) a solution to you.
That's a good idea. I still get the catalogues, still a good read, although I've lost track of the tech these days. Think I'll call em today, and ask if they have any third party dongles (that cracked me up) that will work.
As for the Punch, it's probably oozing away back there, but still working. Good `ol made in USA.
When I get a little farther with this, I'll remember to post some pics. Right now in a million pieces. Below is what I'm working with. First pics, sub box in F250. Let's see who can guess what all is going on there. And upon further review, if memory serves, the Punch HD was the second gen. amp line, not the first as I stated earlier, correct me if I'm wrong. Second pics what I'm working on. Notice the remote on the stick shift, that's what I'm looking to make wireless. I'll see what Cruthfield has to say today.
Sub box in f250
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_20200401_165639687_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200404_092840419.jpg

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Central Maine
if memory serves, the Punch HD was the second gen. amp line
There was a Rockford Fosgate amp back in the 70s, but as you say there was the Punch and then Punch HD were kind of the ones that were really mass produced of that style in the 45, 75, and 150 varieties.

Can't make heads or tails of what all else is on your amp board in the Ford but overall it looks clean and I'm sure it does fine in that truck. That's a nice looking off-road buggy you've got built up as well. I'd definitely call Crutchfield and see what they recommend is the best thing for easy source control with what you currently own.

Oh, and I think "dongle" is technically something that has USB on one end and then communicates via bluetooth, but I use it as a generic term for small bluetooth accessories.

OP
S

Spring Grover

CarAudio.com Newbie
And don't rule out the power 650 and 1000. I still have a 650 in my attic, maybe the kid will pick it up when older, idk. I've so much stuff up there. I know I have a custom set of wave guides and custom crossovers up there I installed in a truck, those things were deafening. Wanted to try that experiment after reading about Richard Clark's Grand National in CA mag back in the day. Getting off track, maybe for another topic.
As for my original dilemma, rained here today, in lieu of calling, scrolled through Crutchfield website, I don't think that tech is on the market yet, all the bt amps have wires as does the bt controllers. I'm gonna consider this a dead end and deal with the controller whip.
Dongle is actually a thing? That's funny!

OP
S

Spring Grover

CarAudio.com Newbie
If this turns out to be the case, then you can just tuck that module away by the amp. It should have a wireless reach of at least 30 feet.
Thanks, but then I'm controlling the amp from the phone, which is difficult at best. I'm needing a wireless controller that communicates between the phone and amp. All the bt amps I've looked at either run straight from the phone, or have a hard wired controller. I don't see how I'm going to get around the wire on the stick shift

Create account or login to post/reply

You must be a member in order to post a message.

Create account

Register now to post new messages.

Already have an account? Log in here.